The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stinkmeat

Other Fungi that grow in the same climate as Cubensis?

Lets just say that someone went mushroom hunting the other day. Was looking for Cubensis but didnt find any. But noticed a variety of other mushrooms/fungi starting to grow from dung. Are there any species of fungi that regularly sprout at the same time as Cubensis (or immediately before or after) that would be a good indicator of when to go back to a location? ie. to let you know if you are early or late in the growth cycle?

Copelandia Cyanescens would be another one to look out for in that environment

Edited by Shroomeup

Copelandia Cyanescens would be another one to look out for in that environment

but they tend to peak a month or two after P. cubensis, ie autumn, in my area.

you'll find them also in spring & summer when weather is right but usually not in abundance IME

Thanks people,

Can't say that I have seen any of these Copelandia Cyanescens (Blue meanies right? Well thats what came up on Wiki). There are usually ones that are pretty similar, Maybe a slightly different strain? But I will go in for closer inspection next time.

Also, I'm pretty sure all the other non Cubensis fungi were all inactive species, so if you know any inactive species that sprout at the same time, that would help.

Meat

Edited by stinkmeat

there are a number of inactive &/or possibly poisonous Coplandia cyanescens look-alikes.

C. cyanescens is now often catagorized as Panaeolus cyanescens. there are a few other active Panaeolus species which may be worth looking for, P. subalteatus for instance.