The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Legba

NNSW Dance party cut off by flooding

well i was there and i didnt meet one person who had a bad time. infact, for many, this was a dream come true! stuck, on an island, with a huge stezza, food being dropped off and the cow shit was way rewarding ;)

It was fucking awesome but nowhere near as good as Exodus! Still, you can't beat dancing in almost a foot of mud, then baking it round the campfire with such good company. I had an absolute blast there :)

I'll post the article I was interviewed in at the local paper when I get a little more time on the net. There was a shitload of drama at the event: snakebite, dislocated knee, severely broken thumb(the guy was so fucked up on acid he didn't even feel the bone protruding), rape(handled very poorly by the organisers), and of course, one hellova flood. I stupidly commented when we entered the site "How is this a fucking island?" and then the heavens opened up in response. There was mobile phone coverage in the area but you had to go for a hike up a hill.

I made the mistake of being very poorly prepared, as I assumed I would be able to stock up on supplies once I got to the event. Fortunately I hitched a lift with a lovely bloke called Sacha who introduced me to a camp of 12 or so very generous and amazing people. I made a ton of new friends, caught up with a couple of old ones from EGA, and generally had one kickarse time.

The main drama was not drugs running out(they didn't) but was the lack of tobacco and decent food. Oh and did I mention Sydney funnelweb spiders? Our camp alone saw 6 of them and one ran about 10cm from my face whilst I was dozing in front of the campfire. Unfortunately I had to break my rule about not killing anything as the idea of being bitten whilst stranded was a little too much for me. Well I didn't actually kill it, the fire did. All I did was encourage it to jump into it. Gotta love it when all the males come out for mating season! Who needs tents when you have trees and tarps?

Didnt meet one person who didnt love it, except for the chai lady. chai nazi i mean. "no chai for you!". then again i didnt really venture far from camp as i had open wounds on my feet and i didnt think walking in a wet field of cow poo was the best idea.

"Get away from the food as you're giving it bad energy!" shrewed the Chai Witch. She was a cack! Also a completely stressed out individual who bogged herself down with too much work for one person, refused help until the end, and was generally really shitty to be around.

My feet are still wounded from Freak but then again I guess it doesn't help that I went barefoot for 10 days and danced on then even though I buggered my ankle on NYE, still have glass in my foot from that night and continually stubbed every toe that needed a good bashing.

What a blast! This roving festival lifestyle sure is a lot of fun :)

what i heard about the snake bite and rape was that they were rumors. what supposedly happened with the rape was this : guy really out of it on acid talks to girl really out of it on acid and thinking she is available makes a few poorly thought out comments. she freaks out (not knowing guy) and tells her boyfriend guy on acid has freaked her out and is coming on to her, boyfriend chases guy out of camp. people near the camp see this, story goes through 700 ears and is changed. I think if there was a rape, the police would of been there in force. another rumor is that the medic left in disgust because of the rape, but, if he had of left because of a rape, being a medic, he would of reported it to the police, which would of lead to a big police manhunt, which did not happen. I know this because my girlfriend was in the office tent when the police and medic were leaving, and nothing was said about it, and the medic was not grumpy.

of course, if you know for a fact that it happened (i.e. you know the girl) then i'll stand corrected. but at this party there were so many rumors going around and so many people changing the rumors (i personally heard 4 different reports of the "rape", each one bigger and more grander than the last - i.e. a perfect chinese whisper) that im inclined to disbelieve all of them.

the girl with the dislocated knee is recovering fine tho :)

no official police reports of rape from this event... however that never meas it didt happen, Or that there weret other cases of sexual assault occurring.

(did anyone else hear about the mad middle age overweight local wome i trench coat going round flashing people?)

officially there was one attempted sexual assault involving some radom dodgy dude dragging a girl screaming into the bushes, pushing her down onto a rock and TRYING, only to be kneed in the balls/elbowed in the throat, and then the girl escaped somewhat traumatised,

i know this happeed as it was a good friends girlfriend, and thakfully she was not on drugs at the time and recieved appropriate councilling and friendly warm space following the incident.

there were no sake bites, but plety of close calls with funnell webs (as flood waters rise, all mater of life seeks higher ground, thus density of spiders snakes and humas in one given area increases).

there has been plety of septecimia (spp) and staph infections following this event, but mostly with puters who choose to cotinue in the conditios and do exodus as well.

all in all it was a 'doof' lord of the flies without the pushing of a boulder onto a fat kid....