The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hellonasty

SYDNEY storms :(

Hey all,

My plants and particularly growing tips of many of my cacti have been completely smashed by MASSIVE hail stones :( :(

My garden has been dadly battered. Even my old (5yr) columnar cacti have been hit badly. I had most of my plants out of the green house to absorb the rain....................all that hard work.

ouch! :(

i know how you feel, although the hail we got here a few weeks back was prob not as big as what you have.

but i copped the damage, every cactus tip was smashed, so many leaves and branches broken and destroyed.

the tips have all recovered and continue to grow now though, so hopefully yours pull through too

Yeah us Canberrans copped a huge hail storm on New Years eve 2006-07 and all my precious cacti got a battering. They were severely bruised and looked quite unattractive for a month or four, but once they had time to put out some new growth they looked a lot nicer. Get them as dry as you can as quick as you can and they will recover just fine. Unfortunately they will be scarred for life, but once they put out enough growth they can be chopped and restarted as clean plants without damage, and you can hope that they dont see the likes of another nasty hail storm in the future.

I hope no one lost too much (from gardens to homes) in the storms - they certainly looked quite insane! I hope that the rain keeps up all summer long (god knows we need some for the dams), but it'd be nice if them dangerous hail/lightning storms would ease up!