The Corroboree
herbal_hindsight

Unknown cacti collection

Question

Hi, i am very new to the wonderfully wacky world of cacti and have slowly been collecting them as the opportunity arises.

I have 4 different cacti here I would love to know the ID of, especially if there is any ethno-botanical significance.

Thanks, keep up the great work this forum is priceless!

:P

post-3965-1195992360_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1195992386_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1195992404_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1195992422_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1195992439_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

1cereus

2cereus, same pic as 1

3 T.spachianus

4 S.marginatus

5 cereus.

...and no, they aren't of any great ethnobtanical interest. The T. spachianus sort of is, but not really too interesting when you consider some of the the quality bridgesioids getting around the community, it has nice flowers though and is an attractive columnular. The two different Cereus spp. are good landscaping columnulars. but only if you have plenty of room to let them grow. The first two look like C. peruvianus.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

has anyone tried spachianus yet? one of us hould and put up a detailed trip report. i will if it gets brewed elsewhere, fuck despining that!!!

has anyone tried spachianus yet? one of us hould and put up a detailed trip report. i will if it gets brewed elsewhere, fuck despining that!!!

someone said of T. spachianus, in This thread, something along the lines of:

"I have heard of some gnomes partaking of this sacred cactus with great success, it contained mescaline, and a variety of other alkaloids making for a potent cosmic cocktail launching them into infinity and beyond. Highly recommended sacred cactus, both for its rapid growth and medicinal aspects".

i was under the impression that spachianus didnt contain mescaline but other alkaloids. if i lived somewhere where it were legal to do so and i had the plant material i would look into it but mine is a baby.

Pretty sure it does contain small amounts of M.

Thanks for pointing out thet thread paradox, some interesting reading there.

Thanks for all your helps guys!

It's nice to know what I've got in my garden, even if they don't have any ethno-botanical significance I like to know what all the plants I'm growing are.

I might do an assay one day and find out the alkaloid profile of the T.spachianus myself one day.... it will just have to be a day I can dare to dance with those prickles!!! It's definentely one of the most prickly cacti i've come across... took a few weeks to get all the prickles out haha

Thanks once again :worship:

Hi, I'd just like to show you guys another pic of the Cereus cacti from my previous post as I have been given a shitload of offcuts from a very large mother plant [will get a photo of that asap]

There are 36 in this photo.... I'd like to know what it is if anyone has any idea...

Phosphene_Dream previously suggested C.peruvianus ? Any further comments on that.... it has a pink flower as seen in this photo.

or perhaps it's a C. jamacaru ?

Thanks guys, keep up the great work.

cereuscacti.JPG

:rolleyes::drool2:

Edited by herbal_hindsight

In my experience (limited), c.peruvianus has a yellow flower. It's definitely cereus of some sort though.

What are you going to do with all those ??

In my experience (limited), c.peruvianus has a yellow flower. It's definitely cereus of some sort though.

What are you going to do with all those ??

From some of the images I have seen on various websites I've actually only seen white flowers on C.peruvianus... Images of C.peruvianus @ cactiguide

hence my doubts, however, I've just had a confirmation on cactiguide.com that it's a C.peruvianus.

Cereus?

I'm hoping it is, as I've got a cutting I took over 2 years ago in the ground that will hopefully flower soon... I read an article that C.peruvianus has a nice edible fruit and are being commercially grown in Israel and sold as exotic Israeli fruit. LOL

Development of Cereus peruvianus (Apple Cactus) as a New Crop for the Negev Desert of Israel

I'm not going to keep all of them, don't have the room or the need... I'd be willing to sell/swap some... any offers/suggestions are welcome...

B)

I'd go with white flower, my experience is based on this monstrose/cristate plant with yellowish flowers - who knows what the mutation does to flowers :)

big_cpm.jpg

I'd go with white flower, my experience is based on this monstrose/cristate plant with yellowish flowers - who knows what the mutation does to flowers :)

big_cpm.jpg

:drool2::worship:

Now that's one nice cactus!!! Bravo bit!

I've just had a mate send me an MMS from Pt Pirie [approx 3hrs from Adelaide] asking me what this cactus is... my guess is a type of Echinopsis?

Am i close? :blink:

possibleechinopsis.jpg

Possibly a hybrid perhaps there's some E. oxygona and/or E. eyriesii in the mix somewhere.? Any thoughts?

Edited by herbal_hindsight

:drool2::worship:

Now that's one nice cactus!!! Bravo bit!

I've just had a mate send me an MMS from Pt Pirie [approx 3hrs from Adelaide] asking me what this cactus is... my guess is a type of Echinopsis?

Thanks - sadly I believe that cactus has now been destroyed (very very sad but the new owner was completely anti cacti). I took as many cuttings as I could fit in the back of a station wagon, and distributed them far and wide - may it live on through those! Searching has revealed that the yellow flowers may indicate jamacaru rather than peruvianus...

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/cactus/Cereus/gf_cer2.htm

I do not know what your next cactus is either, but my guess would be echinopsis based on the colour and shape of the flowers.

Thanks - sadly I believe that cactus has now been destroyed (very very sad but the new owner was completely anti cacti). I took as many cuttings as I could fit in the back of a station wagon, and distributed them far and wide - may it live on through those! Searching has revealed that the yellow flowers may indicate jamacaru rather than peruvianus...

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/cactus/Cereus/gf_cer2.htm

I do not know what your next cactus is either, but my guess would be echinopsis based on the colour and shape of the flowers.

That is very sad and yeh I think I would go with jamacaru rather than peruvianus judging by the looks of it... that's ok bit just seeing that cacti photo was good enough for me :P

I've told my mate its a kind of echinopsis so it's sorted well enough... i appreciate your input :wink:

Do you have any cuttings left of that cacti or did they all find a nice new home?