The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

scale on b.caapi

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure whoever has grown a B.Caapi plant has seen some sort of scale infestation at some stage, and if not you're damn lucky...

Anyways I just wanted to ask peoples advice as to how to control because no matter how often i try to remove the scale they just come back. Obviously the caapi isn't happy and neither am I!!

Cheers :)

KlUe

P.S. I did use the search engine prior to posting

Never?

Most likely scenario is that ants are farming and protecting (even reintroducing if need be) the scale. Ants love caapi.

All the ants I have ever seen on caapi are happy to just suckle on the under-leaf nectaries. I know this is probably a dodgy answer, but maybe the nectaries aren't providing the nutrients the ants want and they are farming the scale to survive.

caapi are pretty much a no fuzz mostly pest free plant, mine never had the problem you describe...

i guess your plant is in a pot, so take the pot off and check the rootenviroment, maybe you will find an ant colony which you can easely destroy. pest like yours often attack undernourished individuals, and caapi is quite a hungry plant for fertilizer and for water, so fert her and water her more, and chances are, the situation will improof.

if you find a ants nest in the pot, you wipe off all the eggs and than put the pot into water so to drown the ants, good luck.

all else fails spray the scale with white oil.

Mine have had scale they got from some salvia, for whatever reason the scale do not thrive, but I do kill them on site.