The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spacedracula

Aloe Cuttings?

Hey guys, been inspired to get a nice pot of aloe growing in the garden after falling asleep on the deckchair on wednesday. Nothing fixes sunburn better and im doing a great impression of beef jerky ATM.

I was wondering if its possible to grow from cuttings, and if any of you had had experience doing it?

cheers guys

Hey guys, been inspired to get a nice pot of aloe growing in the garden after falling asleep on the deckchair on wednesday. Nothing fixes sunburn better and im doing a great impression of beef jerky ATM.

I was wondering if its possible to grow from cuttings, and if any of you had had experience doing it?

cheers guys

yeah man piece of piss.

just take a cutting( much easier to rip out a whole 'rosette' with roots and transplant, theres aloe everywhere, if u want some pm me) and callous it of as per a normal cacti cut, then plant.

for ur sunburn, get some tea bags(normal black tea) and put in a dish of water and put in the fridge till chilled.

rub the chilled wet tea bags over ur sunburn, REALLY draws the heat out, then apply ur aloe.

oh yeah , let ur aloe fill the pot out, u neverreally need to repot aloe vera, it seems to grow so much better when its crammed into a pot and potbound and stuff.

is it true aloevera is naturally spf 4?

Leaf cuttings don't work, maybe if you have some stem attached they might possibly. With Gasterias and Hawthornias I think it's a different story.

You need pups with roots attached.

ive had success with leaf cuttings . actually my whole tafe had success with leaf cuttings?

try and see!

Well make it well known because there are a lot of supposedly knowledgeable people that beg to differ, just have a look around the web. Their argument seems to be that there are rare forms of Aloe that have to be done from tissue culture or seeds and if leaf cuttings were possible they wouldn't be rare.

Jono are you talking about actually cutting a leaf in half and letting it heal or detaching a whole leaf carefully from the stem.

Well make it well known because there are a lot of supposedly knowledgeable people that beg to differ, just have a look around the web.

Jono are you talking about actually cutting a leaf in half and letting it heal or detaching a whole leaf carefully from the stem.

cutting the leaf close to the stem , the callousing well, then planting in a free draining mix, makingsure its not saturated until rooted. i think problems people run into when rooting aloe cuts is that they do not callous well enough and saturate the media.

i can only talk of the common aloe vera where i and classmates had success 6 yrs ago. as for rare forms i have no idea,,, but im prolly guessing theyare rare for their difficultys with bulk prop? i mean bits have fallen out of my aloe pots and rooted on their own accord?

SB-Their argument seems to be that there are rare forms of Aloe that have to be done from tissue culture or seeds and if leaf cuttings were possible they wouldn't be rare.

that seems to be the case with most plants thatare rare in horticulture. i mean look at khat. red and green and pink work from cuts fine for me but i struggle with the narrow. though some peeps have great success with the narrow yet struggle with the red. Itshard to pidgeonhole plants,as soon as u do they piss themselves laughingat u. Or will do the exact opposite of what they are meant to just to shit u to tears.

But hey ill photo doc a cut if u dont believe?

Nah I believe you. Just surprising that this belief is so widespread, I think I've even read it in books. Just a case of people continuing bad info and not trying it for themselves I guess.

I've done it with a whole leaf off a varieagated jade plant, which also wasn't recommended but it took a couple of years to form a plant.

spacedracula u should try the above methods and report back with ur progress?? maybee take some pics? i have HEAPS of the common aloe vera if u would like sum!

Hey I cant think of a better way to break in my new camera haha, yeh jono that would be excellent mate, you're a legend. I'll Pm you.

Ill do a grafting diary for y'all.