The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

PM to make kids study Aussie history

PM to make kids study Aussie history

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=111185

this is really funny, as when I was in year 10, I did an american history elective. I kicked up a stink as to why it was not australian history, as I found it a bit sick that we were being taught american history. I was told it was because australian history was too short or some shit.

American history??? Pfft!! We have our own history ffs! I always wondered myself why they never taught it when I was school too. As long as they teach about how the white man took the land away from the indigenous people, killed them off with violence and disease and then tried to catholicise the ones that were left and whiten them up some. Then the bit about how they cleared they bejesus out of the the continent and proceeded to send many indigenous plants into extinction and threatened many many more :rolleyes: well it is part of our history and it is relevant and it should taught, not to mention so many other things that have happened in the 220 years.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

it will be interesting if aboriginal histoiry and the genocide and human rights violations that occure (are occuring) will be taught.

By a Liberal government?! Sorry, the Liberal/National(who?) coalition :rolleyes:

I did australian history in y 10 and 11. I am surprised this is not offered anymore.

I kinda ridiculed it at the time because after studying european history for several years before [in europe] it seemed a bit insignificant to study what was mainly 200 years of pretty uneventfull trivia.

Looking back though there was a bit of interesting stuff that I think should be taught to all aussie kids, like federation, the political system and yes, we did learn about the invasion in a quite balanced view. The problem is that this worthwhile stuff accounted for maybe 10% of the course and the rest was well, as I said before, trivia.

I think knowing your country's history is really important. All of it!! History is the only thing that has any hope in stopping us from making the same mistakes again. Like german history focussed greatly on the technical and human failures of the early democratic system which resulted in 2 world wars and the most well known genocide. Alltogether these failures cost more lives than any other political failure in the last 200 years.

Similarly aussies need to know about their failures in wars [withtout putting a positive spin on them], their mistakes in politics and also their positive milestones [and I don't mean Bradman's first 'century']. If you don't teach these things you live in a vacuum that can allow all sorts of disastrous movements to develop.

We also had "Australian Studies" wich was pretty much Australian history, in both year 9 and 10. Year ten mainly delt with the Maralinga atomic site and reginal aboriginal lands/languages in SA, including the white invasion about 150yrs before. Looking back now, im quite supprised that the taught us so much in regard to aboriginal health and social problems brought about by white people.

If you don't teach these things you live in a vacuum that can allow all sorts of disastrous movements to develop.

Agreed, no stone left unturned we should be much more critically aware of our history and how it informs our reality today, nothing wrong with constructive criticism unless we want situations to slowly build momentum hidden under the ever-sensitive skin of the politically correct status quo that could never admit to such racist toxicity in the mainstream mind, but it's there.

The sad thing is, emotional manipulation of peoples usually thru an Us vs Them mentality has historically been an effective tool to control people and have them do your evil bidding, unkowlingly with their critical thinking disabled by the fear. The techniques of The PTB's and the reactions of populations are timeless it seems (at least in the present age of the human condition), so looking back into History it's scary to see the exact same techniques being used and the same stupid reactions from the idiot majority taking place.

I wish they taught the history of institutionalised education systems leading to living in an institutionalised world that is directed by the self-perpetuating machine, pledging alleigance to the almighty dollar. They should teach how they have nothing to teach except old world views and outdated paradigms.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Einstein

I REALLY do not know what my point is. I guess I'm for History Learnings if its brutally honest, unfortunately History is written by those who won the wars and colonised the world. The same instutions that ensalve us now. I like the movie Pink Floyd: "The Wall" and the song Institutionalised by Suicidal Tendencies, and any other artwork that touches on the subject.

Like Terrence McKennas mate Rubert Sheldrake, the guy that's been researching morphogenetic field theory, said: "Things are as they are because they were as they were" According to T. McKenna change is determined by the amplitude of the oncoming novelty wave that counteracts the oldschool forms self-perpetuating themselves to keep existance, (temproarily) solid and in form: you can't just have pure chaos. my point is, lets stop focusing on how things were and pay attention to the oncoming novelty wave. Fuck History it's all stupid, maybe the only reason we repeat it is BECAUSE we're obsessed with re-learning it and inadvertently project all that shit out there again.

edit- Learned some minor stuff about White Settlement and Aboriginal displacement in Australian Studies. Learned something about the Eureka Stockade, some rebellion i think involved with the gold rush (I may be way off here). But the coolest thing was watching "Long way to the top" a doco on Australian Music. This was at a catholic school and they showed us Rabbit Proof Fence to display the virtues of missionary work.

What fucked me off the most is the way english speakers bastardise the polish language when they talk about Count Paul Strzelecki discovering and naming Mt Kosciuszko.

somehow Stche-Let-Ski turned into Strez-Lekki and Kosh-Chiu-Shko turned into Kosi-Osko. fair enough I understand all the double and triple consonants are hard to figure out but i thought national icons and heros and landmarks might at least be memorised with their proper pronounciation.. meh just my polish pride i guess.

Edited by El Duderino

torsten"I did australian history in y 10 and 11. I am surprised this is not offered anymore"

I live in NSW and am only 20..

I studied Australian history at school in a unit called Australian studies (which was/is compulsory) and my cousin and aunt informs me(they are both teachers) that it is still a compulsory unit for all NSW high school kids to study in the current curriculum.

Australian Studies is a unit in NSW Compulsory for all students currently undergoing their School Certificate!!!

Although about 95% is focused on the study of European settlement, and something like 5% on aboriginals and their history... go figure.. :BANGHEAD2:

Peace

Although about 95% is focused on the study of European settlement, and something like 5% on aboriginals and their history... go figure.. :BANGHEAD2:

Peace

Aye same here. Also I'm pretty sure it's compulsory in SA too, but maybe only recently.