The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Serpent

TLC for Psychotria viridis

I’ve just ordered a viridis, I’ve looked through what I need to care for it. But I suppose I would like some final clarification. :rolleyes:

So from what I have been able to get online.

Soil : Well draining, rich soil? "sandy compost", but what exactly is that. I really only have access to bunnings gardening and I get totally lost when looking for soil. :unsure:

Would the dynamic lifter soil mix be any good? (Dynamic lifter mixed into 'normal' soil)

Light/Heat: I live in SE Queensland so it getting pritty hot and sticky, but would it still be a good move to make a mini green house for it?

Thanks J

dont know much about this plant.... but I like a potting mix from bunnings called "Australian gardener, made be BRUNNINGS (not bunnings)" as I find it to have good drainage. like I said... dont know about this particular plant... but I thought it would enjoy hot and sticky... but im sure someone will correct me. also.... is this an easy plant to grow from cuttings?

Edited by XipeTotec

If you are in SE QLD you will have little trouble growing this plant.

Keep it in a big pot in the shade (but where warm!) and keep the soil from drying out more than 2cm deep from the surface.

Go to Bunnings and buy the most expensive potting mix they have, and some river sand. Mix together in a 3:1 soil:sand ratio to allow for good drainage.

I am sure Vertmorpheus can give some good locality tips.

Rich soil would refer to a soil with high organic matter and the sand added for additional drainage. Drying winds are a bane to P.viridis so a position sheltered from drying winds is important. If this requirement is well met, P.viridis may be hardened to accept even full sun. So the range should be light shade to full sun. Should do great in SE QLD.

Mind that P.viridis generally needs to be gradually hardened to accept wanted light levels and to bring about a certain robustness.

Edited by Mycot

Just got my P Viridis in the mail today, Cleaned scissors with 99% alcohol to be sure when cutting the leaves for transplant, and i just Assayed( is it ) in my pipe i got 4 cones sort of and was surprised to "Feel" a decent effect from such juvenille leaves, makes me very glad i went for it along with other seeds Lophophora , mimosa invisa , whian whian & complanata acacia seeds too. obviously all from shaman australis botanicals, i spose that a given being here posting hey, I look forward to sharing some pic's soon, its nice to be "Working" with plant's again, i so get off on it, even my New tomatoe plants R feeling the love hehehe

what mycot say's is spot on, i might add, that one can even harden this plant up to whitstand "dry hot winds". at times at the hottest parts of the year when i misted my plants with the hose, the plants would give off a strong dmt smell!!

what cannaboiler say's is very interressting aswell, as i used to like smoking viridis aswell for some suble (anxiolitic effects).

I always had good results with [All Queenslanders should know of this one ] FILTER PRESS and coarse river sand.mixed together in various ratios for various plants. Grows everything.