The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Murple

Salvia multiorrhiza - Tan Shen

Anybody familiar with the use and effects of this salvia species? Apparantly, in addition to its uses in Chinese herbalism, the roots of this plant contain some kind of sedative chemicals. I've heard the effect compared to Valium, but I haven't really heard any details or found much online. Anyone have any experience or info on this plant?

hi Murple,

"dan shen" or "cinnabar root" is, it seems, the only salvia used commonly in chinese herbal medicine. The roots of dan shen(not to be confused with dang shen - codonopsis pilosula root, which is a qi tonic) have an invigorating effect on blood and heat clearing properties.

Thus it is indicated for blood stasis patterns with symptoms like dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, blood clots in the lower abdomen with palpable masses.

This herb is said to "enter the liver, heart and pericardium qi channels" so it has a stronger focus on these parts of the body.

Dan shen is also a cool herb which can counter heat-like symptoms(fever, irritability, restlessness, palpitations, insomnia).

As with most herbs used in chinese medicine, dan shen works best in concert with other complimentary herbs(ie commplimentary to one's overall symptom presentation).

Dosage is given to be 6 - 15g in a formula or up to 60g on its own for "vasculitis".

It is said that frying dan shen in wine enhances its blood invigorating effect.

Source: Materia Medica by Bensky and Gamble

ISBN no: 0-939616-15-7

I don't think this herb has a direct sedative nature, rather it clears heat symptoms(as described above) by its cooling nature. Its main indication is "invigorating", though.

regards,

Zinai

[This message has been edited by Zinai (edited 06 April 2002).]

Des Tramacchi (very reliable) recently wrote to me:

"Salvia miltiorrhiza has sedative substances that bind to benzo' receptors."

I have seen reference to this in a few places.