The Corroboree
MrBumpy

"DON'T TASE ME BRO!"

One of the news stories.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/19/State/Ta...UF_studen.shtml

"Tasering of UF student sparks uproar"

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the situation... Have been finding it really interesting hearing different peoples opinions on what happened.

Also, the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgrFSHZfD1o

A group of stories about the incident http://www.starbanner.com/article/20070918...3/BREAKING_NEWS

-bumpy

Edited by MrBumpy

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the situation... Have been finding it really interesting hearing different peoples opinions on what happened.

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is here, seriously.

It's not like it's a big secret that freedom of speech doesn't actually exist in America, nor is it a big secret that America is full of over-zealous taser happy cops.

Am I missing something?

I've seen heaps of videos of police unnecessarily tasering people, it seems like cops have taken a liking to tasering defenseless unarmed women in particular, it's like the new cop trend or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXoczxzwYk

Here's ones of some cops tasering some fiesty black woman who really didn't want to be man-handled by the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHPdXJiQTaM

She was getting out voluntarily goddamnit! hahaha

I think the best example though is the florida cops who recently tasered an old black lady to death. The woman was probably 60 years old and also in a wheel-chair. Maybe she was speeding towards them in her wheelchair and they had no choice but to taser her to death. Seriously, the woman was honestly wheelchair bound when they tasered her to death.

Sigh, why can't we have cops over here like they do in the U.S. More wheelchair bound grandma's need a good taserin'! They're stinkin up the place!!

-Chemical Shaman

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is here, seriously.

It's not like it's a big secret that freedom of speech doesn't actually exist in America, nor is it a big secret that America is full of over-zealous taser happy cops.

Thats the part that I'm interested in hearing about. People are seeing this as a freedom of speech issue, and saying that he was tasered because of his question, but after watching the video, I'm finding it hard to see why people are having sympathy for him... he was acting like a complete tard

-bumpy

I read the kid has a website and considers himself some sort of 'activist'.

It was pretty much a planned thing and the person taping him was no accident. It was a retarded publicity stunt.

Just because the guy was acting like a tool doesn't mean they had the right to tase him. I didn't see anything that suggested he was posing any serious threat. But honestly, all you have to do is watch a few minutes of the show COPS to realise that it is considered okay for cops to push people around and bully them. And in particular pick on blacks and hispanics, homeless people, prostitutes, drug addicts etc. 99% of what I happens on that show I believe to be unnecessary displays of the powerful wielding their power, but this is the way they behave when they know they are being filmed so it is obviously considered quite acceptable. Imagine what goes on when nobody's watching.

Obviously no-one non-violent should be tasered, however obnoxious they may be.

the powerful wielding their power,

IMHO that's the only reason people become cops.

It has nothing to do w/wanting to serve the community or they'd be firefighters, nurses etc.

I'm nearly 40 & from schoolfriends who became cops, to the cops i meet now (one ov my best mates sister is a cop & another female friend is married to one.. etc.) I've never met one who wasn't corrupt in some way.

A cop saying:

"You make you're living on your back pocket."

Meaning that the warrant card (kept in the back pocket) is the key to so many discounts, freebies, backhanders, scams, bribes, etc. that it makes their pay packet seem insignificant.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that EVERY cop only does the job because they want power that they can abuse. I believe that there is a slim minority of cops who truly got into it because of a romantic and idealistic view of the job, and an even slimmer minority who stick with it despite the culture of corruption with which they must cooexist. I could also imagine murder squad detectives among others who may feel that their job is more of an artform or something, and I think that's cool too. But ninety-nine percent of cops on the beat are there because they want to push people around. I mean seriously, it must be a pretty shit job if you're not entertaining yourself somehow...I can't really imagine anyone wanting to do it unless they get some sort of power trip out of it.