The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
devance

Why not use volcanos.

Umm, The story you have posted is about methane release in areas where there are methane hydrates becoming disturbed due to permafrost melt

Similar hydrates exist in deep ocean and could be disturbed by warming ocean temperatures

But nothing about volcanoes, and I don't believe anyone will be considering dumping radioactive material into volcanoes :scratchhead:

That would be a recipe for disaster

Havent read the link (judging by Foolsbreaths comments, it probably wasnt a big issue), but how would you propose someone taps the energy provided by something as unpredictable as a volcano? Understandably, there would be a tremendous amount of energy up for grabs, but tapping it would prove to be a very difficult process... Plus, how could you transport the energy to the places where it would be consumed? Most cities and factories (where the energy would be most resourcefully used) are located far away from the dangers of active volcanoes to avoid the possible catastrophies associated with them. Transporting energy has always been a big issue (from what I remember hearing, this was one of the issues with hydro-related energy sources too) and would be another huge setback for such an idea.

Nice method of thinking tho! I'm sure there are much more clued up folks on the energy scene around who could provide a bit more insight, but these are a couple issues that I can see straight up.

geothermal power has been discussed, would be same principle as using a volcano i would assume.

They are a source of goethemal power.

Fault lines.

As I understand it volcano will contunues to erupt is just the earth crust thats moving at a slow rate,

So using a volcano as a dump site for nonradioactive waste is a idea.

But for radioactive waste the long term problem is to use glass supposedly, but the metal titataniun can get crystalized so the solution is encase with with 4 inches of silicon.

Volcanic rock is silicon but maybe try using low level radioactive waste is a test.

If its gassed out can be tested.

Can't be as bad as testing above ground in 40s with whatever.

Cancer from smoking just was propaganda exercise that worked.

Lava doesn't break down very fast.

And encased.

But for radioactive waste the long term problem is to use glass supposedly, but the metal titataniun can get crystalized so the solution is encase with with 4 inches of silicon.

Volcanic rock is silicon but maybe try using low level radioactive waste is a test.

If its gassed out can be tested.

Can't be as bad as testing above ground in 40s with whatever.

Cancer from smoking just was propaganda exercise that worked.

Lava doesn't break down very fast.

And encased.

LOL problem is, Volcanoes have a habit of exploding and sending their contents kilometres into the atmosphere where jet streams will carry the ash very large distances very quickly

LOL problem is, Volcanoes have a habit of exploding and sending their contents kilometres into the atmosphere where jet streams will carry the ash very large distances very quickly

This would be my concern, coupled with the unpredictable nature of how they erupt. I do like the idea though - maybe there are certain volcanoes that we can track the magma flow and send the radioactive waste to the center of the earth?

Edited by five