The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Honey Oil Extraction

Whenever I do a butane/pipe extraction I find it difficult to collect and store oil.

At the moment I use those aluminim foil type takeaway pasta containers. That advantage of this for me is that I just apply a little heat to the bottom and throw in some material to absorb the oil, then smoke away, no long term storage though because its not airtight. Just wondering if there is a better way than what i am currently doing??

Also is there a better way to smoke it?

Later

Guest Mesqualero

can't answer ur question cos i havent done it before but... does the honey tube method work well? did u run into any problems using this method?

Guest Mesqualero

what, you pack the jar full of plant matter.... cut a little hole in the lid and then let fly with the butane.... a little elaboration here?

Guest saucer-like

Is there much wastage inside the pipe or does it all drain out nicely? Do you use paper toweling inside? does it all hiss out and go everywhere? Is it economical?

I once rolled up a pen in foil with a few centimeters hanging off the edge and used a pin to put a small drop of oil inside the foil and lit the underside which kept the flame from directly touching the oil. it worked well. except when I swallowed the pen.

[This message has been edited by saucer-like (edited 12 March 2002).]

It is simple and easy. but the butane does splatter.

Yield = approx 100%.

(identical attempt of spent plant matter = 0% yield).

the plant matter looks identical afterwards as it did before you started. it is a clean method. the butane takes a while to boil off at room temp, so put the container in a hot water bath (DON'T HEAT WITH ANY KIND OF FLAME).

The only diff is the plant matter no longer has a smell.

You can redissolve in alchohol. DO NOT USE METHO (it could contain denaturants that far from getting evaporated off with the alchol, may get concentrated, and can be very toxic). Vodka would be fine, pure ethanol would be better if you can get it. (don't use methanol obviously). so yeah, you can redissolve it and then either use it as an alchohol sol'n, or evaporate off the alchohol, transfer it to the container (vial) of your choice when the volume has been reduced enough, and then evaporate off the rest (stem bath would be good). then you can scrape it out as needed.

of course you can also add some plant material to the alchohol solution and THEN evaporate it off, but what would be the point of doing the extraction? (unless you just wanted to make it more potent - but oil in a vapourizer would be better for you).

that any help?

[This message has been edited by eccles (edited 12 March 2002).]