The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zeus

Grafting salvias

Guest Zeus

Hello.

I know hops can be grafted to MJ and THC appears in the hops.

Now, can a hardy salvia species such as the sun loving splendens be grafted onto a divinorum rootstock and produce salvinorin in its leaves? Any advice??

the graft might work but the hardy salvia will not produce anything extra in it's leaves than it already does.

I have seen an interesting example in a grafting book of how a patch graft was done from a purple sapped ficus onto a white sapped ficus of same species.

BTW the ficus is only an example as can't remember the one in book.

It showed that the patch always bled purple and the rest of the plant bled white and no mixing of the colors occurred.

Hope this helps.

Later.

Guest Zeus

Thanks for the reply. But in that case how is it that the hops starts to make THC when grafted onto MJ?

I don't think they did. Just another urban myth I think.

Guest Zeus

Yes you are correct. I've read something about the MJ/hops graft on lyceaum. Analysis showed that the hops part had no THC. I always thought it was true, because I had an expensive book 12 or so years ago which went to great detail on how to do the graft.

I was hoping it would work.

As you know, the weather here has been quite warm and the salvias ,although under shade cloth,are suffering badly. I need to finish making an enclosed structure to keep the humidity high.

You probably could graft S.divinorum to certain other species, however there would not be much point.

I'd like to see it done though.

If I could get the same growth rate and frost tolerance as S.elegans I'd be very.

Mmmm pinapple flavored diviners sage wink.gif

Originally posted by Zeus:

As you know, the weather here has been quite warm and the salvias ,although under shade cloth,are suffering badly. I need to finish making an enclosed structure to keep the humidity high.

Not in perth at the moment, just hope my plants are doing ok. Are your plants in pots or in the ground?

I have some in pots and in the ground under shade clot. The ones in the ground are doing far better than the ones in pots.

If you haven't tried growing in the ground I would definatly recommend it.

Later.

Guest auto302823
Originally posted by garret:

Not in perth at the moment, just hope my plants are doing ok.

My Salvia slpendens is really needing alot of water at the moment. As long as youur plants are getting the moisture they'll be fine.

Also, obviously its not the same, but my splendens are doing much better in the pots than in the ground.

Guest Zeus

My divironums are all dead on top. The perth heat was too much for them, although I watered every day. They were kept under shadecloth but not misted

Guest auto302823

Bummer to hear your sallies haven't gone so well, Zu. They really are another kettle of fish, I guess.

My first two sallies shrivelled an died right away 8-) and I haven't tried since -- um -- hence the Seibert tincture.

Guest Zeus

Never mind, I do hope one or 2 survive in their new environment. I'm hoping I get new shoots from the ground as they will look ugly otherwise.

I bet you cant wait for that tincture to arrive. The days must feel like weeks..

I haven't personally used that tincture but have seen 2 lots of it, which another person (who occasionally posts here) ordered. Its a dark green liquid (unlike the photo on his site).He told me that 4ml is the minimum amount he needs for a decent trip.

Later

Zeus

I got some of d.siebert tinture last year

but for some reason I keep forgetting to try it.Maybe some one who has tried it would

like to give us a report.

Guest DragonFyre

has anyone tried growing their sallies indoors?? This is the first time I've grown them and in QLD it does get quite warm... and after reading all about the cultivation, a plant that needs only 20% filtered light should easily be able to grow under a window or something? This way it would also benefit the plant being outta the frost, etc and also create higher humidity levels then outside?? And like everyone says, plants are our best friends so make sure you talk to yours! (CO2 enrichment!!!)

They'll love you for it!

All the best in growing

Dragon Fyre

Guest auto302823
Originally posted by Andrew:

I got some of d.siebert tinture last year

but for some reason I keep forgetting to try it.Maybe some one who has tried it would

like to give us a report.

I'll let you know tomorrow. I give D.S. the thumbs up; he's quicker than amazon.com smile.gif

Guest auto302823

Its a dark green liquid (unlike the photo on his site).He told me that 4ml is the minimum amount he needs for a decent trip.

That it is. Phrases like 'decent trip' scare the shinola out of me wink.gif I'll be starting moderately.

Please see my post in the notices section! Salvia is now illegal. From my understanding of the law this means that everything other than the growing plant is now prohibited. The seeds will be illegal too, unless they are treated (??). Even the process of taking cuttings could be interpreted as harvesting plant material for processing.

You have been warned.

must be irritating for the likes of siebert, ie having your business obliterated by the stroke of some fuckwits pen.

Guest auto302823
Originally posted by Torsten:

Please see my post in the notices section!

You have been warned.

Thanks for the watchdog action Torsten. Maybe I'm still in another reality?

Looks like there may be a good reason for grafting after all.

Got a few months for trials anyway.

Guest Zeus
Originally posted by auto302823:

I'll let you know tomorrow. I give D.S. the thumbs up; he's quicker than amazon.com smile.gif

So, any luck ?

Guest auto302823

So, any luck ?

Yep, the 2.25ml staggered dose my mate Dave took, resulted in much warbling of his brain, extensive OEV's, green folding CEV's with the room shrinking into the folds and zooming off to the left (as he'd heard expressed before). It all made Mike Hedges Aerial Boundaries sound very drippy for him.

That sounds pretty 'decent'. He's now worrying about doubling that. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by auto302823 (edited 11 March 2002).]

Guest auto302823

So he only took 2.25 ml in total ?

Yip, 3x.75ml each taken 4 minutes apart.

The green dream rocks; I know this because my best mate Dave knows this.