The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
trucha

interesting looking book

Question

2 answers to this question

Ah, this is the book i saw in the nimbin book store when i was up there last.

Every page has a colour picture of the mushroom in question and has a little bit of information (if i remember correctly) on it's habitat. Only a few lines or so.

So if your after the book for a wealth of information, maybe not the best buy. But if you want something light with nice coloured photos, definately the way to go.

Actually you might want to try and find that nimbin book store on the net and see if they could send it to you, because i remember the price being much cheaper then $49.95.

Take care

Aya

So if your after the book for a wealth of information, maybe not the best buy. But if you want something light with nice coloured photos, definately the way to go.

i have this book, & i would have to agree with aya, really beautiful photo's, in that regard it is a wonderful book.

the info is not bad but quite limited, just your basic ID info & basic habitat info. I'm pretty sure it doesn't go into edibility or toxicity really at all, which is something which detracts from it's appeal, but it's understandable with the massive lack of knowledge regarding fungi in Australia.

the only psilocybe in it is subaeruginosa & i think there a couple of non active panaeolus spp & a few amanita spp & perhaps some other possible actives but can't remember off hand.

it seems that the aesthetics of mushrooms are a big part of the authors interest, as he is a great photographer & seems to have been fairly selective in his choice of species to include. seeming to focus on species which have an interesting appearance. understandable with the shear magnitude of species of fungi, you have to have some point of focus.

very handy & a recommended read but probably not ideal for 'ethnobotanical' interest.