The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

"Tazmanian cubensis "

I came across this:

".....healthy, classic text book, golden top cubensis. It has potential to grow some very large fruits at times. Sometimes excedeing 1 foot in height on simple substrates such as birdseed..."

at

http://www.thehawkseye.com/

I don't remember any references to P.cubensis in Tas at all.

Does anyone have any further information on this?

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 29 January 2002).]

Yeah, that is one thing that I have never really understood.

Isn't it believed that there is no P. cubensis growing in Victoria as it is to cold a climate for it (backed up by sources mentioning no P. cubensis in Vic) but then there is a tassie P. cubensis near Hobart??? confused.gif

Is there some weird sub-tropical microclimate in a field near Hobart or has this strain adapted to cooler climates (and should we naturalise this one in Vic cow paddocks).

Dutchie, any answers, or ayone else???

E D

I'm orginally from tassie and have never understood this tasmanian cubensis strain either.

For: If the strain that is widely available as spores on the web is from tasmania it grows in warm conditions and people use cubensis type teks to cultivate it - based on cultivation info on the web..suggesting it is a cub strain not a woodlover like P.sub.

Against: I have never seen shrooms growing in summer in tassie, its always march april when Psilocybe subaeruginosa and related species occur (eg Psilocybe tasmaniana Guzmán & Watling). The pictures of tas cubensis i have seen also look similar to young P.sub.

Is it possible that early mycologists id of cubensis in tasmania was inaccurate - iding youn P.sub as golden tops and therefore P.cub.

I dont really have the answers but as an ex tassie boy the question really bugs me :-).

Whats wrong with Victorian conditions.

It seems that both Copelandia cyanescens and Psilocybe cubensis are found at latitudes north and south of Victoria.

Almost every state seems to report Copelandia cyanescens, except vic & W.A.

List for N.S.W:

Psilocybe aucklandii

Psilocybe australiana

Psilocybe eucalypta

Psilocybe semilanceata

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Psilocybe tasmaniana

Panaeolus subbalteatus

Copelandia cyanescens

(Gymnopilus Junonius

Gymnopilus spectabilis

List for Tasmania:

Psilocybe australiana

Psilocybe cubensis

Psilocybe semilanceata

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Psilocybe tasmaniana

Copelandia cyanescens

List for Victoria:

Psilocybe semilanceata

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Panaeolus ater

Gymnopilus purpuratus

umm does anyone know how to contact BIO so we can quiz him?

who's BIO??

BIO is apparnently the person that visited tasmania and collected the spores of the tasmanian strain.

from http://www.thehawkseye.com/taz/taz.html

The Tasmanian cubensis is a fantastic mushroom found by BIO on the island of Tasmania just below Australia. Tasmania is a state of Australia, sub-tropical, having 4 seasons. It tends to get very cold their at times, and as -Clyde- found out, this mushroom does very well in cold temperatures outdoors.

Perhaps posting the question at http://www.shroomery.org/ may provide an answer.

I would find it easier to believe its a differnt strain if it wasnt named after TAZ the cartoon character....lol

[This message has been edited by hellspawn (edited 28 January 2002).]

Is it fair to assume that Psilocybe semilanceata would fruit around the same time as P.subaeruginosa.

Can anyone give an idea of when Panaeolus ater (August?)

Gymnopilus purpuratus would fruit.

Guest wira

I think Psilocybe semilanceata is a spring-fruiter. I'm not sure about Panaeolus ater off the top of my head but I think it might come up in spring/summer. I've only really noticed Gymnopilus spp. coming up in late autumn and winter, like P. subaeruginosa.

i dont follow fruiting that closely..i concur with wira's obsrvtns bout the sub's (may-august).. have seen semi's up with subs (july/august?? can't recall)

[This message has been edited by coin (edited 30 January 2002).]

I know in England the P semilanceata used to come up in the wet cool part of Autumn. Waybe it reacts differently to this climate here.

Any news on the P. cubensis "Tazmania" anomaly?

E D

Guest reville

BIO has been around some time and maintains both an impressive library of gourmet/medicinal and psychoactive species.

Ferret around the shroomery and youll see who the most active researchers are...

Guest wira

Ok, I should have checked it out properly the first time, but here we go... P. semilanceata usually fruits August to November [also rarely in June, July, December] in the northern hemisphere, while the P. semilanceata material collected in Tasmania was fruiting in May, according to Guzman. I think it's not at all common in Australia and if anyone finds what they think is semilanceata they should get it properly identified [and maybe lodge an official herbarium specimen with someone who cares (Fungimap usually don't take specimens, they're happy just with photos or your word of honour wink.gif )], as sometimes subaeruginosa can look superficially like semilanceata, and similarly sometimes grows in grassy areas [though usually on the edge of Eucalyptus forest, rather than in a grassy field].

If you're using MJ Shroomer's guide to shrooms in Australia and New Zealand to help get info for these questions, I'd advise taking it all with a grain of salt and doing your own research where possible, as I recall that amongst the stuff that is accurate, it is laced with assumptions or errors posed as fact, and mis-readings of some of the literature [no personal slur towards MJ intended wink.gif]

sure, no personal slur...but what you say is true..i'd say many of the reports in that book are anecdotal, as he often mentions talking to local 'surfies' and such..

what i've found resembled semi's..while i'm no expert on id, there's no way they were subs...distinctive 'liberty caps'..this is in vic.

coin, I'd be very interested to know where you've seen liberty caps.

I have had a few reports of Ringwood lake sightings, but am suspicious as I've heard quite a few reports of vics finding "blue meanies", when I finally got to see some of these "blue meanies" it turned out to be immature subs.

I've seen subs that take forms of several of their cousins, semi's, cubes, cyan's, in grass, woodchips and forrests (rarely) and am questioning their genetic background.

This season I wish to take several hundred pictures and record all relevant information about the shoomy habits and habitats.

There is bugger all information available about our friends, I hope we can change that.

around redhill (or is that red hills?), vic..

i have a couple bad & dirty prints....somewhere?..

[This message has been edited by coin (edited 31 January 2002).]