The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
trucha

a cactus and a euphorbia

Question

5 answers to this question

I recognize the columnar as Hertrichocereus beneckei, but what's the globular succulent? If you didn't point it out as a succulent, or at least indicate the presence of a cactus and a succulent, I would have probably said Fralia.

~Michael~

Interesting that your beneckeii doesn't have any spines. The globular is very pretty but I'm unsure, I would have guessed it was a cactus.

Um, did I get it all wrong?

~Michael~

The cactus ID is right. Its just an intensely variable species. This tip has got some spines here and there but TINY. Other branches on the same plant are intensely spiny and really long.

The other is a fairly young Euphorbia gymnocalycioides also showing some interesting variation from its more normal appearance (its in a 3" pot and was grown from seed) Others in the same planting showed more horns as are typical.

This is one of my favorites (abdelkuri is another) but I don't grow any Euphorbias myself as I try to stick with plants that can handle freezing.

I'm not having much time right now for posts or reading posts but will be back in the next couple of days to try and catch up.

Distant trich flowers are calling me and wait for no one. This will make my third day in a row of trying to see them flower but they've just been sitting there with buds distended. I live out of cell phone range without a drive and they require a drive beyond that to see them (ideally really early before the morning heat where they live has toasted them) so its been interesting.

Edited by trucha