The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tanjent

Melbourne Psilos?

Good evening fellow freex!

I just came out of a very vivid and bizzare daydream involving magic fungi.

In the dream I was just beginning a period of experimentation with BLOO FUNGI. I was trying to find out what documented species, if any, were common to melbourne.

I was seeing something called 'blue meanies'(wavy caps, growing on tanbark etc) which I was trying to figure out whther they were either p.subaeruginosa or p.cyanescens but was not entirely sure-maybe there are un-documented species in melb?

the next part of the dream involved trying to figure out if p.semilanceata(Liberty Caps) existed in melb?

hmm strange dreams...

I wonder if anyone can comment,

I obviously need help smile.gif

Guest Mesqualero
I was seeing something called 'blue meanies'

To my knowledge it is Panaeolus/Copelandia Cyanescens which is Commonly known as the "blue meanie" which grows on dung and generally dung rich soil in tropical and sub-tropical areas

A good book is "Psilocybe Mushrooms of the world: An identification guide" by Paul Stamets

In your dream you might want to check this link: http://www.rbgmelb.org.au/fungi/cat/detail...ls.php3?id=2402

And also the Fungimap database for several fungi locations.

Dream on.

E D

Thanx for ure help ppl!

Cheers for the great link ED, just what i've been looking for!

hoo roo

Guest wira

There are a few weird things growing on tanbark here, some of which may be Psilocybe subaeruginosa/eucalypta/australiana forms, and some of which do actually seem to be Psilocybe cyanescens. I've directed one collection of these latter ones to Gaston Guzman [photos, description and dried specimens] but am still waiting to hear if he's got around to analysing them. From a glance he did agree that they appear to be cyanescens, though.

Mesqualero is right, 'blue meanies' are Panaeolus/Copelandia cyanescens, though the term is frequently mis-applied down here in Vic to refer to small, blue-staining Psilocybes.

Guest wira

I should add that I suspect some of the Psilocybes being found in tanbark here may even be as-yet undescribed species.

Guest tsttantra

hi wira,what do you mean by tan bark?

t s t .

Guest wira

I think it's made from pine... you know, the wood chips usually found as mulch in garden beds in parks and such... I must admit to being ignorant of the kinds of woodchip mulches in use so I when I said tan bark that's probably not too accurate in all cases. I've also seen useful suburban Psilocybes growing in what appears to be Eucalyptus-based mulch.