The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Dodonea a coca substitute?

It says in the species data that dodonea is sometimes used as a coca substitute. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was the substitute for taste or psychoactive effects. And how much "hops" from this plant equal real hops in weight.

Guest wira

As far as I know it's used as a coca substitute in Peru because of its psychoactive properties, though I don't know how much like coca it is in effect because I've tried neither. D. viscosa occurs in Australia as heaps of different varieties and is pretty common; I've been meaning to try it out for years but strangely have never got around to it.

I think the use as a hops substitute was more due to bitterness and the [extremely] superficial resemblance of the fruits to hops [from a distance?]. It might have similar effects in the end but I really don't know.

http://www.invention.com/janakiram.htm

Here a patent selling site where you can buy the patent for:

The present invention, an Analgesic Anti-Inflammatory Composition, is prepared using and extract from a plant of the family Dodonaea [hopbush]in a dermatologically acceptable carrier, with or without a dermal absorption enhancer such as eucalyptus oil. The extract is prepared by solvent extraction of the plant matter, either whole or separated into various parts, such as leaves, bark, seeds, roots and flowers.

The inventive extracts and compositions have potent analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties and are thus useful in the treatment of conditions involving pain and/or inflammation. Examples of these conditions are migraines, musculoskeletal and joint disorders, and many others.