The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nothinghead

Ethnobotanicals that grow in near or full shade

I'm running out of room in my yard and only have full shade or near full shade positions left in the garden. I want to fill these few spots with some plants that like shade, but have so far had little success with adapting plants to nearly sunless positions. As I remember plants like taro are supposed to thrive in part sun or full shade, but I'd love some further suggestions on what kind of plants would be suitable.

almost any rainforest understorey plant will love it. Brugs, Psychotria, gingers, Tabernaemontana, Piper sp., Brunfelsia, Iochroma, etc

When Salvia D was legal I found mine did not like full shade.. I might try some other legal salvias in shade, but up til now have found they do better with a fair amount of sun.

The problem for me with rainforest plants such as psychotria is that with my climate they don't get enough humidity/heat in the shade and tend to dry out with the wind. But gingers and other aromatic rhizomes are a great option, thanks.

do Tabernaemontana, Piper do well in shade? here they grow in FULL sun all day, 12+ hours. thats piper betle.

Monstera deliciosa, the delicious monster, does well if full shade or sun, and as the name suggests, it's delicious.

Monstera deliciosa, the delicious monster, does well if full shade or sun, and as the name suggests, it's delicious.

Bit like Jack-Fruit, isn't it?

Not really. Jack fruit is a huge plant with huge fruit, tastes like a banana/mango sort of thing, but there is a lot of variation, and it has big edible seeds that taste a bit like almond. It's tropical, but does well here, out of Bellingen, some frost, so who knows its' limits? Monstera is a vine in the shade, that can climb right up tall trees, or if in the full sun it's more like a shrub. The fruits are only edible when the the outer layer falls off, otherwise they've got nasty crystals that hurt your tongue. You can pick them unripe and wrap em in paper for a few days, helps keep flies out and speeds up ripening. They are in a league of their own-my kids go crazy when they hear the paper unwrapping, sweet, creamy, fragrant...delicious.

As for sally, biggest one I've seen was in full sun, leaves got a bit scorched, but very healthy.

in hotter climates salvia loves shade. in cooler ones it can do well in full sun.

Piper betle will grow in full sun, but does prefer the cloud cover and high humidity of the tropics. In dry climates P.betle will do better in semi shade. Some other pipers will only grow in shade.