The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Xatia

papaver somniferum cultivation

Guest Xatia

wow- great website, glad to see so many aussies interested in this stuff..

anyway, just wondering if anyone had some tips for growing poppy (p. somniferum) in Sydney? Not that I would grow it of course).

I just had a funny dream about it and was wondering what I might do better had this scenario occur again.

thanks smile.gif

Pretty easy. Toss the seeds on some dirt in a sunny position, keep watering them, they will grow. I'm told that it should be possible to get flowers/pods if sown now in Melbourne although generally they are sown a couple of months ago... worth a try though. Beautiful flowers.

if you're like me and enjoy having much more info than is really necessary, go to poppies.org or buy Jim Hogshire's book...

Guest Pigdog

I have had some luck with em, (California Poppy's of course) smile.gif

But you just have to chuck em and forget em. they will grow when they're god-damn good and ready and not a moment sooner smile.gif

I had some seeds that I sprinkled in a pot, and three germinated after 3 weeks, then 3 months later, another 5 germinated smile.gif I think the trick is, plant LOTS and pray smile.gif

--Pigdog

Guest Xatia

great... thanks guys...

Ive been watching over them like a hawk and I think that must be why....

I also tried to plant some white seeds that I got in southern india.... anyone know anything about these??? I;ve heard differing theories on what colour is best to plant.

Hi all, I was told by my father that my grandmother(his mother) used to grow shitloads of poppies in Germany before and around the war for seed purposes.(cooking,mmmm yummpy poppie seed strudel)

She also told him that the one in a thousand pods that had white seed will make you crazy, and not to eat them. Not sure why, I suppose it was an old myth, but she damn well NEVER ate any of the white seed.. maybe that explains my dad... must have got into them at some stage!

As for sewing.. i have no idea are the white ones fully mature?

Guest Xatia

fullly mature? No they havent even sprouted... (sigh)

one in a thousand pods? Well the poppy seeds in shops are all white in India, they use these for thickening the curries.

I read something about the whiter they were the more fertile or potent or something... probably on lycaeum forums...I cant remember..

Anyway I have munched on some, and I might be crazy but none the worse because of these!

Guest reville

This is my experience with the closely related P. paeoniflorum

Clear a patch of soil - well draining- in an open sunny position

Work in some fine cow manure - dont need that much really - my soil is shit thats all.

level it off nicely and sow your seeds finely

Use the method for carrots if you must - mix seed with sand and sow the mix.

Water every day - this stage is crucial- like with carrots they are small seeds and should be near the surface the soil must not dry out at the surface.

The poppies will emerge within a week or two and are barely recognisable, at the second to third stage they start to get their serrated apperance.

Next step is weeding - you must be fanatic aboutthis as theyre sloew to get started and will be overwhelmed by grasses, chickweed etc.add more cowshit

once they get to some size you can case the soil with compost or partially composted lawn clippings to suppress further weed germiantion - after that just remember to water in dry spells- and theyre tough as after that.

I grow mine in winter - sow in autumn to speed up the early growth (warm soil) and theyll grow through winter and flower now.

This works from perth to geraldton in WA

further south i dont know

They do self seed i am told

Hope this helps

Most of the poppy seed grown in europe is (and has been for many decades) Papaver rhoes. This seed is always dark grey.

The white seeds are usually from asian Papaver somniferum varieties, such as Persian white and many thai strains.

any difference in alkaloid profile then between plants grown from white seed and those from grey? i mean is P. rhoes(?) a completely different species?

Guest Xatia

I think the white seeds have a fairly high alkaloid content from what Ive heard, but generally I think it depends on the variety and how the plant is grown??? Well maybe.... I probably need to read a textbook instead of so many `opinions` - does anyone know od some old texts on papaver somniferum cultivation or alternately opium cultivation???

[This message has been edited by Xatia (edited 01 November 2000).]

P.rhoes is a different species.

Most P.somniferum seeds are also dark grey and probably indistinguishable from P.rhoes.

Some somniferums are white, beige or light grey, but most of these are asian varieties.

Xatia, ther's a great article on poppy cultivation and morphine extraction (compiled by the DEA) available on the net- try Erowid or the Lycaeum. Also the section on Opium in "Pharmako/Poeia" by Dale Pendell is great- if you don't know this book, check it out at amazon or mind books, it's special...