The Corroboree
ballzac

Stropharia aurantiaca = Psilocybe ceres = active?

Okay, I know wiki can be full of shit at times, and even wiki states that this could be a false positive, but it cites 'one study' as claiming that Stropharia aurantiaca "contains the hallucinogen psilocybin at a concentration of 0.99%"*. Yes reports of diarrhea from this mushroom are common, but with the availability of this mushroom, perhaps it could be used for extractions.

0.99% psilocybin is a very high concentration, and I know that it would be easy to obtain literally hundreds of kilograms to work with. Does anyone know what it is in them that causes diarrhea? There is more than one way way to extract psilocybin from mushrooms, and I would guess that it wouldn't be too tek to isolate it from the substance that causes diarrhea. Have there been any other studies on it's activity? Has anyone here done anything to ascertain its activity?

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypholoma_aurantiaca

EDIT:I've already answered my own question by doing a bit of a look around the shroomery. People have tried eating them and gotten the diarrhea but no trip, so 0.99% is definately wrong. But even if they contained a slight fraction of that, they might still be worth investigating as material for extraction.

Edited by ballzac

sounds sketchy, the diahorrea is definately a turn off for me. i dont think ill be collecting them anytime

Yes there was an Australian study that found appreciable amounts of psilocin in Stropharia aurantiaca (published as Hypholoma aurantiaca) and Paneolinus foensici. Shouldn't be too hard to find with google.

Mushroom John claims that these were false positives.

If true, since two different tests were used in the study confirming results it seems not so much a case of false positives as total incompetence.