The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Cases still not fruiting!!

i think i might just go for the oil heater and leave it on overnight and off during the day.

I think thats definitely the best option - I know a little while ago, Target had 'Linda by Mistral' brand, 700W, 7 fin mini oil heaters for $25. Thsi is the closest I can get to sourcing any info - Heaters by mistral - but the mini one isnt listed

I'd put up a picture but I dont have a camera atm...

Don't forget, if its in a reasonably enclosed space (like a large cupboard - just be very careful when playing with heaters in confined spaces), its thermostat will kick in as soon as temps are reached so it wont be on all the time anyway.

Those pins look like the ones SWIM used to get when her FC was in a place where it received in-direct light. If you provide a point, usually above, from which a source of light higher in intensity than any other the FC gets, the shrooms should grow relatively straight towards it. When the FC gets relatively low levels of light from multiple directions the shrooms tend to grow in circles.

Just what SWIM has observed :)

Re the water droplets, with increased temp you get an increase in the rate at which water vaporises and so and increased amount of water condensing on the FC. Cutting holes in the FC to allow CO2 to drain will only give you problems maintaining humidity unless you can keep temps elevated. Your FC setup being of an incubator design really doesn't lend itself to well to this approach. Since you have gone to the trouble of making a FC like this you would be better off going a lil further and adding a timed fan air exchange system. I'd keep the cycles low, every 2 hours or there abouts so as not to be constantly venting all the humidity. You could even go one step further and make a humidifier to humidify the air to be exchanged. You could then set an exchange frequency that is optimal like Hypha described, 4 times an hour.

Depends how far you wanna go :)

Thanks harry :)

hmm I have a vision..

Fully automated FAE system..

Light/heat source built in..

Humidifier..

CO2 absorber..

really you could go as far as you want couldn't you (yes yes you could)

any pointers on this stuff ?

i guess if i had a humidifier i woudln't need to mess with perlite humidification right?

if a 30W light bulb was mounted just on top of the lid, would that pose any issue?

and the incubator design to keep temps up would still be fine..

how would one design a FAE system?

timer.. fan, how to remove all CO2 in there?

i moved the tubs, like this

img0347le3.jpg

new pins already!

i moved it last night.. :scratchhead:

Fc's in better position sphinx, when stacked one on top of the other i dont think light was ideal for bottom tub.

im going to sound like an old man but just a warning to anyone using an electric blanket, they will get very hot when rapped back onto itself, their obviously not designed to be used in that configuration, im not saying it will burn your house down but if it did become faulty and their was damage your insurance will not cover you if its found your using an item like that in that set up.

anyhting not to pay out of course.

but then if their not edibles you probably dont need to worry about that anyway.

ah another question

when i take the lid off (to fan the container), there's a whole bunch of water on the underside of that lid becasue of the humidity, but when i lift it a far few drops tend to fall on the casing

is that bad?

I think thats definitely the best option - I know a little while ago, Target had 'Linda by Mistral' brand, 700W, 7 fin mini oil heaters for $25. Thsi is the closest I can get to sourcing any info - Heaters by mistral - but the mini one isnt listed

I'd put up a picture but I dont have a camera atm...

Don't forget, if its in a reasonably enclosed space (like a large cupboard - just be very careful when playing with heaters in confined spaces), its thermostat will kick in as soon as temps are reached so it wont be on all the time anyway.

thanks a lot HK, might make a trip into Target this afternoon and check it out :)

ah another question

when i take the lid off (to fan the container), there's a whole bunch of water on the underside of that lid becasue of the humidity, but when i lift it a far few drops tend to fall on the casing

is that bad?

im pretty sure its not reccomended to let direct water touch the mushrooms. but if it cant really be avoided. so its not that much of a problem.

btw to anyone who can asnwer. how much higher is my electricity bill going to be if i've got an electreic blanket running on low 24/7?

Edited by mardybum

Well well :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer:

img0357sl1.jpg

img0358sw2.jpg

I'm wondering about that second pic, where there is that big empty patch there are lots of water droplets, compared to the first pic the second has significantly too much moisture i think..

here's a pic of the water droplets

img0361uu5.jpg

what can be done?

be great to get a huge second flush

wow :shroomer: just TWO big ones !! :lol: :lol:

Sphinx

Someone I know has the same set up as you but for fruiting turned the underwater heater up to 30dg and left the lid loose on the top and only did Fresh Air Exchange once or twice a day (fanning with the lid) for about 2 minutes.............

The water on the lid was wiped off before fanning...............

And then one morning!

post-1509-1182996580_thumb.jpg

A forest of Mexicans...............

Cheers

Awaken

Impressive flush! :drool2:

Sphinx, if those are the shrooms I'm thinkin off then the proceeding flushes should be quite good :wink: At least thats the reputation they have.

Jesus christ man that's fucking massive !!! :drool:

Harry, Indian :wink:

so much i want to try!!

Ps wet weight of those two flushes was 230grams

Whoa! Awaken that flush is amazing. I'm so keen to try casing now, hehe. What sort of grain do you guys usually use? I'm thinking of using WBS in my next grow?

Edited by mardybum

Mardybum

No grain at all just Organic brown rice freshly ground in a coffee grinder.

cheers

Awaken

I previously used brf / verm combination (pf style) but im really liking corn :)

i case with 50/50 of peat-moss and verm

Awaken what are you casing with?

Sphinx,

About 70% verm 30%coir and spraying daily (3 times) with a hand held fine sprayer until pinning starts.

Cheers

Awaken

Awaken,

you say spray three times a day..

do you have ay humidity in there also or is that where your cake gets its moisture?

if i'm using perlite humidification then do i need to spray or vice versa?

cheers

Just a quick question, if you were to have basically the same set up as Coschi with the fish tank heater as the heat source. Couldn’t you just attach a small inlet fan to your chamber and have it sucking fresh air though constantly.

Then you’ve got that moist winter air that’s happening at the moment being sucked in to a warm little box, which equals high humidity, right?

I don't think there would be even close to enough humidity jabez - it would just dry things out waaay too much. Best to have the fan on a timer, for eg, 5 mins on, twice an hour or even once an hour.

I don't think there would be even close to enough humidity jabez - it would just dry things out waaay too much. Best to have the fan on a timer, for eg, 5 mins on, twice an hour or even once an hour.

O.k, I'm thinking if you turn your fish tank heater up full and then connect it and a small inlet fan to a thermostate ( $100 from any hydro shop, but worth there wait in gold), you should end up having a consistant temperture and not have to worry about it any more. Unless your getting those 35 degrees days, in which case you could just transport your grow room in to a air conditioned room, how convienent growing fungi would be :lol:

By the way well done Coschi they turned out nice, you guys really have inspired me :P

Not sure if that would work that well jabez? Why not just fan manually? What I do know is you can pick up a decent thermostat from jaycar for around $40 and have seen good ones on ebay too for less than $100.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

I think you should be using the thermostat to control the heater, and as mentioned, control air exchange via a timer. You could always use an ultrasonic disc to add humidity. The problem with all the ones Ive seen is that they dont push any air, though you can easily knock something up. I made one of these for a friend years ago in the early PF TEK days:

post-3690-1183648016_thumb.jpg

The cheap 20 cent valve controls the air flow, so you dont need all the condensing chambers seen in the original tek. As there is only the one condensing chamber, and it collects back into the reservoir, the water reserve lasts longer, and there are no bottles to periodically empty. Water level can be kept absolute by using a setup like one of those pet water stations, with the added benefit of longer periods between refills.

Spectacular! Very beautiful results, sturdy, healthy and extremely *medicinal* looking fruits. Harvested at the perfect time as well IMO. Congrats mate!!

how much and what size is the coffee grinder? can't seem to find one in the shops that aint attached to an espresso machine

I got a breville Coffee 'n' Spice Grinder from kmart for 39.95, there not vey big but they do a good job.