The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

wedge grafting onto peres

Teo, do you use artificial heating indoors for your cacti (electric blanket?) or did you say before that it gets to 40 degrees indoors in winter up there?

it is always +25 generally +30 when the lights are one and in summer reaches low 40's

hey teo,

how do you go about de-grafting those wedge grafted lophs? i'd imagine there would be some problems there.

Only speculation but I would think u chop the scion above the graft once she was a decent size, the bit of scion left would probly pup again maybe?

my plan with degrafting is to regraft onto trichs, what I will do is cut the plant off as close to graft join as possible but im not really worried, then cut off pups and graft then cut the remains in half to give a bottom and top then graft these to a trichocereus. The peres wont grow as the areoles are all spent and upside down grafts work fine. So no need to leave any remains on the peres.

More info and pics on that in a month when I get my trichs. Ill add it to my little info PDF.

Edited by teonanacatl

First off, great work! I would like to add a bit here, but its not really needed. Still, parafilm can be used to bring in the sides of those wedge grafts for a more perfect graft. Is it needed? Nope! Will it help? Yep. Like I said, excellent work. Just food for thought. The nice bonus on the parafilm is that a little goes a long ways. The grafted scion will break through the parafilm as it grows so no need to remove the parafilm.