The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Mitragyna activity

I had two medium sized kratom leaves on an empty stomach today (chewed for about 10 minutes) and spun out for about 45 minutes. I didn't get any sleep last night, so i thought I would try it as a stimulant - it worked, but due to exhaustion wasn't entirely pleasant. I would think it would be quite nice if well rested and well fed. I think we have finally ascertained it's activity.

The interesting thing was, that these leaves were the last few leaves that did not die back in the cold weather. they were MUCH more bitter and stronger than the same leaves in autumn. It seems that the alkaloids increase from cold or over time.

Guest reville

Im curious about growing mitragyna but im not sure of its hardiness

The region it came from is the same thats given us lemons and lemongrass,longans and other common species.Im wondering just how sensitive it is likely to be?(I have all these - healthy)

Mainly how might it cope with the particular easonal variations i encounter

In my yard I have Avocado,lemon,Mango, white sapote,Perrennial basil, Snakebeans, chokoes and passionfruit.These are good because they serve as a standard indicator of conditions

ie its not too cold for the choko but it can get too arid severe leaf burn in the height of summer december to march. And its fine in terms of min and max for the first four trees but the prolonged lower temps mean there can be significant chlorosis from july till september.Snake beans are a good indicator of heat , both soil and ambient as they wont grow well unless its hot. They dont pick up until december and thrive all through till may.

Based on that, whats your guess on Mitragyna.

Im guessing you also have the mentioned species growing near you, how does their condition relate to mine?

Guest xoc
Originally posted by reville:

Im curious about growing mitragyna but im not sure of its hardiness

The region it came from is the same thats given us lemons and lemongrass,longans and other common species.Im wondering just how sensitive it is likely to be?(I have all these - healthy)

Mainly how might it cope with the particular easonal variations i encounter

In my yard I have Avocado,lemon,Mango, white sapote,Perrennial basil, Snakebeans, chokoes and passionfruit.These are good because they serve as a standard indicator of conditions

ie its not too cold for the choko but it can get too arid severe leaf burn in the height of summer december to march. And its fine in terms of min and max for the first four trees but the prolonged lower temps mean there can be significant chlorosis from july till september.Snake beans are a good indicator of  heat , both soil and ambient as they wont grow well unless its hot. They dont pick up until december and thrive all through till may.

Based on that, whats your guess on Mitragyna.

Im guessing you also have the mentioned species growing near you, how does their condition relate to mine?

I have been growing a Mitragyna indoors in Melbourne for 4 or 5 months. It has spent most of its life in a West facing sunroom by the window. Its been growing from a shipped plantlet in Autumn and has put on 2 healthy pairs of leaves before seeming to become dormant over winter. Its warming up now, but it hasn't grown yet. The leaves have taken on quite a red hue, but they look healthy enough.

Mitragyna stops growing when night temps hit about 8 deg C.

At 4 deg C the leaves dropped and the plants were just sticks. At this temp most of my tropicals will start to die back, beginnign with the juicy green tissue. Mitragyna did not die back, and the juice green 'prayer leaves' at the top stayed on in readiness for spring.

We grow ours in the hothouse, even though we are in the subtropics. They like the humidity. But I do believe that humidity isn't actually essential once the are about one year old. So it is possible to grow them under cover to this age and then expose them slowly.

if chokos don't die from the cold, then neither will the Mitragyna.

if Avocado,Mango, white sapote, chokoes and passionfruit don't dry up in summer, then neither will Mitragyna.

This is a canopy tree for the rainforest, which means, that while it enjoys the humidity and filteed light when young, it is quite capable to protect itself from the elements once established. I wouldn't plant it in the middle of a bitumen parking lot, but if you tuck it in the shade of another tree, with a few other plants surrounding it, then it should do well. You will need to ensure it is always well watered for the first year or two.

XOC...I LIVE IN MELBOURNE MYSELF AND WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN GETTING SOME :KRATOM:CUTTINGS OF YOU IF IT WAS POSSIBLE,I HAVE A VERY USER FRIENDLY SET UP FOR KRATOM GROWTH IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD,VERY RAPID VEGATATIVE GROWTH UP UNTIL APROX 25 INCHES AND THEN TO LARGE FOR MY WINTER SETUP,BUT WILL SHARE INFO AND OR SPECIMEN WITH YOU IF YOU ARE HAVING [email protected]

Guest Pigdog

Well well smile.gif

I am starting to feel like one of the elite few that has this plant smile.gif

Unfortunately, in regard to the cuttings, they apparently have a very low success-rate cos of some fungus, (yer I read the page where *else* would I get any info on this plant 8) so he may not want to take cuttings , not yet at least, I know I don't smile.gif.

Especially when you consider, that this aint some inch-a-day annual cranker smile.gif I've had my little plant for Mm got it end of spring/summer last year, so over 6 months I think now, and it's not even doubled in size smile.gif

It HAS produced more leaves though. not just tips, but leaves. I kept it inside all winter, and we got a heater so the house was pretty warm, but I think it'll start to pump out leaves at an even faster rate now that it's sunnier and more humid.

Just send poor Torsten $80 and take good care of the plant he sends smile.gif Support da man. Support da plants smile.gif

I am still too scared to put my plant out cos I don't want it to drop it's leaves, so I think I'll keep it inside, till it gets large enuff to TRY and take a cutting or two, and *if* those cuttings take, I'll put THEM outside when they're big enuff smile.gif

By which time the parent will be a small shrub I'm sure smile.gif

Ciao

--Pigdog

These plant grow real fast if wamr enough. I saw a plant yesterday that lives 300km north of my plants and it grew almost twice as much over winter than mine did. The temps would only be a few degrees, but it made all the difference. From Sydney northwards it would be growing season now. Belo this it may still be a little slow. Watch for late cold snaps.

Guest John

I'm happy to announce that I too have joined you guys in helping to keep this very rare plant in existence! I have mine in a little pot in my patio. It has been exposed to the air and soil for about 1 month.

I live in Southern California, and I suspect I may be the first to grow this plant in this area. It seems to be doing great this summer. Even though the habitat is dessert, we have had some very humid hot overcast days. I also live amongst many ferns and other rainforest plants in the lattice-shaded patio. Thanks to Torsten for helping me out with the damping-off. It is doing really good. Frost is rare due to the fact that the pacific ocean is 5 miles away. It helps keep the temperature consistent. I will post some pictures in a week! smile.gif

John

Great idea about the pictures. I would love to see how this plant performs in different climates.

it would be great if as many people as possible who have this plant (and there are quite a few by now) could post pics with age, climate and soil details.