The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Blackle - A Black 'Google'

Blackle is a black version of google.

A few months ago, TreeHugger Mark Ontkush wrote a post on his blog EcoIron titled Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year. The post lays out the following train of thought. "An all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts." Google, which has a white background and gets about "200 million queries a day"could reduce global energy use by 750 Megawatt-hours a year by simply changing the colour of its homepage to black.

In response to this post a black version of Google emerged called Blackle.com

Sorry guys - just got this in an email. Good idea :) Any thoughts on the tree-huggie-ness of it?

The interface is actually pretty nice too.

Nothing worse than using big white screen google at 4am when you're looking up references for your code :P

Blackle is a black version of google.

Sorry guys - just got this in an email. Good idea :) Any thoughts on the tree-huggie-ness of it?

If you're using a CRT (old skool) monitor, it will save a small amount of power. However if you are using an LCD monitor, it will actually use more than the standard white google page because LCD screens have to use more power to display a black pixel than a white one. Considering LCDs are much more popular as monitors now I doubt this will have much positive effect overall, but it is a nice idea.

The cool thing for me is the geek factor.

I recently got a chance to mess with the google "API" to plug google stuff into my own websites, and I guesstimate that "Blackle" took all of about twenty minutes to write :lol: