The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pigdog

Brugmansia

Guest Pigdog

Okay, not a very involving Question really, but here in is biggrin.gif

My Brug is about 1 & 1/2 feet tall, hasn't been tipped, and has little side-shoots ALL UP the stem, every cm. What I wanna know, is should Brug's be left to grow vertically, or will it grow healthier to tip it and force them side-shoots out a little.?

I know that generally the only growth consideration is the shape when you tip it, I have always tipped all my plants to keep em bushy, but I thought I would post anyway, just to see that there's no special reason NOT to tip for the brug's. It's a red datura btw.

Danke, mercy, and au reviour! biggrin.gif

--Pigdog

Guest wira

I reckon tipping it would be a good idea wink.gif In my limited experience growing Brug's they have frequently had their tips broken off accidentally by various mishaps, when still smaller than your plant is now, and they responded well by branching out more from the nodes. Especially the red ones [sanguinea] look really nice when they are more spread out smile.gif

Just a side track but has anyone had any problem germinating Brugmansia seeds at all?

Specifically the Brug. suaveolens X candida seeds?

E D

Guest Pigdog

yes. only took me 2 attempts, but the I had to literally operate on the second seedling to cut away the husk so it would open up. First attempt the taproot rotted at the intersection where it came out of the seed-case.

--Pigdog

If anyone is interested I found a page that describes the finer art of germinating Brugmansia seeds (also mentions how to get cuttings to take).

Check out: http://home.att.net/~perennials/germ.html

E D

i recommend giving it a good prune.

cut off all of the bottom shoots so that it

can grow tall, then let it go bushy!

smile.gif