The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shruman

Passiflora?

Question

G'day all just tryin 2 I.D this passion flower?, any help appreciated.

Sorry I dont have any photo's of flowers but they had green tinged white petals? ( if they are petals) with purple frilly bits hope that helps.

post-2263-1179893629_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1179893522_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1179893863_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1179894376_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1179894004_thumb.jpg

Grown in full sun.

Thanks

post-2263-1179893945_thumb.jpg

Edited by shruman

10 answers to this question

probably best to wait for flowers. any attempt to ID without flowers is only a best guess of the most common ones.

Thanks T, I thought that might b the case.

Could u or anyone tell me how 2 I.D an incarnata flower cause of all the photos Ive seen it most looked like an incarnata but looking at the pics of incarnata leaves it just didnt seem quite right this mayb due 2 growing conditions ie grown in full sun (I dont know).

Also does anyone know wether the other passion flowers are active, SAB states activity is suspected.

There are that many hybrid forms around it's always hard to say for sure...but google images is always a nice place to start :lol: the only one as far as I know you have to keep peepers out for is the caerulea, which has a fairly rank smell IME anyway, doesn't smell like something I'd want to drink. On other species, I have found alata to be pretty good (and free haha), good for smoothing out the hills and valleys on those long walks...you might get 1.5 times further in the same pair of shoes too, I certainly have. good at the end of a long week to loosen up nicely for a massage too. I tried smoking alata (got seed if anyone wants it, alien looking thing she is, tasty too), thick sweet smoke on the leaf (I was bumming the first lil sip, I find the more I can "vent" fresh sourced pflower the less nasties SEEM to carry over. So if brewing with hot water and some acidic juice (just a touch) , I tend to stir gently for quite a while somewhere with decent airflow... keep it up until any of the "rank" smell seems to have stopped developing,THEN add the acid component (note...this might be bullshit. I do it, haven't died or gotten crampy/nauseated. Might lose something in the translation from action to words too). Smoking a few pipes chills me out a bit, but nothing too serious. A nice strong cuppa seems the best (say a small handful of shredded leaf and tendril...I tend to leave flowers for the native bees... made in three cups of water just off boiling with a couple pinches of citric acid... take a cup each out for two people and leave the rest and the dregs for the pot so to speak).

P. coccinea I can find no reported use of beyond some tribe way down somewhere using it as a cough mix or something like that... but I had a crack (those flowers do my head in, stunning! and the different looking leaf...there are 4 in a group at work, and it stands out the most)... same deal prep wise as above, seems to do much the same but a bit...flatter. Most of the chill and none of the sparkle... maybe I'm just a sucker for a warm drink! Done it a few times and didn't die or feel like I was going too though. The morning after a decent sip of pflower and pflower based blends (within reason!) I tend to feel fairly refreshed even on not a whole lot of sleep... like it drops you right into Sleep rather than wasting time on snoozing and rolling around.

I have seed for alata, can get foliage and flowers (not a heap though), same for coccinea (not flowers, too hard to get the ants out properly)... I have seed for something I just call Red, which I think is an alata-edulis x, but no way to be sure... also the yellow feral one (foetida?), and something I have never seen in any books or sites, but might be common as hell... its a pflower for sure, has ducksfoot leaves , pointed not rounded, tiny flowers (white, less than 8mm across I reckon) with black berries containing only a few seeds each , fruit about 5mm across. Has a bit in common with corky passionflower, thinkin it might be that x'd with the yellow bush one. No incarnata, mine dropped dead a while ago (whippersnippers are bad, mmkay). But if ya want some of those freaks, let me know.

Thanks GD, been looking at pics on erowid & it might just b the dreaded caerulea which is crap cause I got a fair bit of it anyway Im not game 2 find out & that tea sound so good.

"good for smoothing out the hills and valleys on those long walks...you might get 1.5 times further in the same pair of shoes too, I certainly have."

Interesting as it suppose have sedative properties.

When u harvest u use tendrils too?, are they as good as leaves?

I'll have 2 wait til I can get photos of the flowers b4 I think bout trying her, I had them 2 but missus deleted them so she could take more photos & my poppies too D'oh.

lol, the dodgy form of most things seems too often to be the survivor and dominator! Hundreds of tonnes of morning glory down the creeks here... course it will just make you sick, wrong one haha.

You might've misread the shoes business.... think of it in a more jim morrison context...

I (me, myself) take a whole length of "middle aged" runner, dry it intact out of direct light, warm but not hot, airflow, usual deal.., then pull off leaves, flowers, tendrils... unless the flowersare buggy or gone mouldy (happens, they're quite meaty on the alata). Chop/crumble the lot together. I've ripped enough of this stuff that I know what kind of growth I am after... sometimes it's too floral, too twiggy, whatever. Hard to describe of course. As for leaves v tendrils, don't know, but I find the whole herb approach to make some personal kind of sense. I've just always had a few bits here n there in the mix. I guess you could get someone much brighter to have a fiddle and see what has what weight of what (like that?), beyond me though. I've never felt really tempted to brew from flowers alone... they look too weird :P Instinct was developed to keep us alive. And I don't take from vines that have just fruited either, it tends to taste skankier and not do as much.

Guest Øskorei

So the incanarta (?) has a nice subtle sedative effect, what about the more common passionfruit vine's foilage ? Don't tell me that species IS the most common, and Im being ripped off by buying little baggies of the stuff :)

Agree with all tho, the money ID's are really in the flowering, not just with this but also other aspects of the plant world.

Gday plant nuts, just a quickie (half ya luck :P). Some recent digging thru The Healing Forest (Schultes n co, dunno what publisher I wasn't paying attn) mentions that the local name for P. coccinea (the red starry flower one, with the oval leaves) roughly translates to Poison Passioflower...no real mention other than that, so it's anyones guess what that actually means for the humble botaniphagist. I've knocked it off on empty/full/co-operatively filled :wink: stomachs and never had any dramas, usually made up at about a loose cup of crunched up cured leaf n tendril to about a litre of water. Never had it days running, or more than say once every couple of months, might be cumulative. Certainly less initial queasiness than with either strong alata OR incarnata tea, and noticeably less rank pong while handling it... whether that means there is less nasty gear in it, or that what is in there is just bound up more firmly (hitting your system rather than floating off in the air as most seem to , for me) is once again anyone's guess.

0skorei, taken in largeish amounts I find the alata has more than a subtle sedative effect, especially in combo with just about anything else. It won't go launching you into space (not yet, anyway) but it can certainly help overcome some of hte inertial inertia involved in that endeavour, and makes "re-entry" somehow easier to handle. A couple nicely brewed cups of alata and I become At One With The Couch in grand style... but then if someone draws my attention outside, I can get around no worries at all, just get the impression I look more slinky than usual while I'm doing it...groovin along...

Never tried the edulis, might do something, but it smells really rank when I man handle it or chop it back... there seems to be a (possible) trend of only chowing down on ones with larger, fleshier leaves...the skinny, very glossy and waxy ones seem to get left in peace to overwhelm the chook shed in most parts of the world. Could be worth a peek by someone with more solvent-fumes in their eyes than me, I'm all about that things nature hands to me on a plate rather than requires me to dick about with chemicals and nanas pyrex. Yeast and nylon buckets don't count :lol:

Don't let the good times get you down,

VM

most passifloras contain some cyanide, so should be treated with caution. animals grazing can be affected.

Just as a guess I'd say P.caerulea.

Well it looks like it to me

It's commonly used as a vigorous and hardy rootstock for grafting P.edulis cultivars.

It often outlives the desired passionfruit and you're left with this suckering, not so useful plant.

For this reason I don't plant it, and also discourage the planting of Passionfruit grafted onto this stock in climates

where P.edulis can be grown on it's own roots.

That being said, it does extend the climatic range and reliability of P.edulis

Took these pics a while ago, Yep u guy's were on the money bloody caerulea.

post-2263-1204603565_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1204603665_thumb.jpg