The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rkundalini

Solvents etc

It would be totally understandable if this was undesirable for any number of reasons, however I wanted to say one thing I'd love to see available was a selection of reasonably pure solvents, say ethanol, acetone, toluene and dichloromethane. While we're at it basic extraction glassware (beakers, flasks & distillation column) would also be fantastic, and pH strips too. In fact of all of the above, pH strips would be perhaps the most desirable as the others can be improvised.

Anyway, can't blame me for dreaming, as I said I can easily see why having these might not be a good idea...

Having never performed an extraction, I can't really be sure, but I've gotten the impression that the improvised solvents do jsut as good a job as the more expensive pure solvents.

As for PH paper, I think that is readily available at places like Poolmart. but again, liek always, I'm not completely sure

-bumpy

I think this would be pushing my luck a little ;-)

pH strips probably aren't a bad idea, and maybe a beaker or two, but definitely not solvents and expensive glassware. the last two would be a logistical nightmare and would also indicate something I am trying to discourage -- I like to see the responsible use of natural herbs, rather than superconcentrated (and thus much more dangerous) drugs.

Agreed smile.gif. pH strips would be good though. Does anyone know where to get them other than a chemical supply house (scary)? I've tried pool shops but no go. They have pool test kits but they only do about pH 6 - 8. Homebrew shops have strips but they only do something like 4-7 (for wine making)...

wish I had had this interest when I was a high school chemistry student ... wink.gif

I agree about use of natural herbs but for some things some degree of concentration is the only feasible way of using them. While on the topic, does the patchouli plant smell like patchouli or does one need to distill the oil?

in my wild and irrational youth i just walked into a chem supply place after calling them up on the phone, and walked out with a box of ph strips plus a couple of other things wink.gif

i don't see the problem with doing things this way ... especially if you only want ph strips then it's hardly enough to issue a search warrant on, although you'll most definitely be asked for identification. the main problem is that they're damned expensive!

happiness

earthalchemist

while we're talking of such things though ... i'd be interested to hear everyone's sources for easy-to-obtain solvents ... many times i've bemoaned the fact that i don't live in the states and can't just go out and buy everclear ...

i'm not a chemist so don't trust me with your life wink.gif but here's a few that i know of:

90-something% isopropyl alcohol - available from the local chemist

100% acetone from the hardware (Miller's i think??)

happiness

earthalchemist

R.e. Ph. strips

These are usually available at any hydroponics store, plus a few more interesting things i.e. extraction fluid,hormones,giberellic acid etc.see ya.

Guest jaq

quick post here ..hmm a few hydro shops sell ethanol & pet ether & other solvents which i presume to be used for the extraction of cannabis resin..im sure you'll know which stores might be worth asking

i've only just recently seen this site, i don't endorse it in anyway... http://www.grow.com.au ..the online shop isn't up yet, the catalogue is in 3 rather large colorful Acrobat (pdf) files..

my virus checker says there is a VBS worm ('Netlog.A') in one of these..(i don't know if that's possible..?) i'll post again when i check it out.

anyway, they sell some spiffy looking large-scale extraction equipment and solvents, activated charcoal, etc..

*shrugs*

love, jaq

Guest UV1
Originally posted by rkundalini:

It would be totally understandable if this was undesirable for any number of reasons, however I wanted to say one thing I'd love to see available was a selection of reasonably pure solvents, say ethanol, acetone, toluene and dichloromethane. While we're at it basic extraction glassware (beakers, flasks & distillation column) would also be fantastic, and pH strips too. In fact of all of the above, pH strips would be perhaps the most desirable as the others can be improvised.

Anyway, can't blame me for dreaming, as I said I can easily see why having these might not be a good idea...

90%(10% water) ethanol is available from most chemists, you've just got to convice the pharmacist to sell it to you, I brought along 2 Jim Bean bottles 700ml, he filled them up and attatched a poison label. I think he charged me $15. From another chemist I found books of 20 litmus paper ph strips for $1, acid and base. Petroleum Ether is available from most supermarkets. Methyl Ethyl ketone (sp?) (MEK) is available from all hardware stores. Methanol is available without an account from many manufacturer/distributors, no tax payed if you tell them it's for a car ($23 - 20litres)

[This message has been edited by UV1 (edited 24 June 2000).]

petroleum ether is basically the same as shellite. this is available from many supermarkets and also camping shops or by the 20l drum from fuel depots.

Be careful with the ethanol from chemists though, cos this is usually denatured. For some reason they still hesitate to sell it in quantity, even though it is available by the liter in the supermarket. There are some metho products, which contain only ethanol and methanol. Boiling off about 10-15% should remove virtually all of the methanol (careful, explosion danger). Most have other things added though, to make them taste bitter.

Guest UV1

I made sure it was pure, pharmacies are allowed to buy 120litres of pure ethanol excise free a year for their own use, they can't legally on-sell it but if you seem genuine enough there's a chance they will help, most will have a supply of 90% ethanol on hand which is dirt cheap without the tax.

There are 4 government grades of ethanol - undenatured(no additives), partially denatured(eg F3-"Specially methylated spirits(SMS)", 2% methanol),fully denatured(methanol & various poisons that effect taste& form an azeotrope with ethanol).

Common metho is the last form & can't be fractionally distilled to obtain a pure ethanol. The common metho sold in the Northern Territory contains denaturants that taste bad & colour the liquid but aren't overly poisonous. It's a popular drink up that way and too many locals were dying.

Just a word of warning!!

Be careful with some grades of ethanol (99% grades) as they contain small amounts of benzene (known carcinogen). The benzene is there as an azeotrope so it can be distilled at a different temperature for the final removal of water.

This might not be a worry as it is usually the chemical grades that have this and you probably can't buy this grade in pharmacies.

95% Ethanol (bio source) doesn't contain benzene but does have a 5% azeotropic amount of water. Which reduces its solvent properties somewhat.

What purity is the government undenatured (no additives) grade by the way?

E D