The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Barto

miracle grow equivalent

Is there an equivalent to miracle grow when it comes to cultivating shrooms

4951951xs5.gif

Seaweed extract makes a big difference when added to cake and spawn mix.

Check out Soma Seekers cake and Hyphalknots pasturised dung grows. Both use Seaweed extract.

thanks for mention harry :)

yeh my gnome uses seaweed extract, she hasn't experimented with it thoroughly enough to know just how helpful it is.

In her latest grow she tried adding gypsum as well. A VERY experienced grower recommends adding it to cake or substrate mix at a ratio of 5% to help boost yields.

a lot of people also use used coffee beans, my understanding is that it is useful as a source of nitrogen, like seaweed extract.

good luck

soma

I would think that using cold pressed seaweed extract would be better than using a boiled extract like Seasol, you can usually tell the difference by the smell, cold pressed doesnt stink and boiled does.

SWIM used the same brand as pictured in Hyphas's tek and it doesn't stink at all.

Here is the pic.

Bulk_Sub_005.jpg

If your looking to add a nutrient booster, only go for organic ferts, and start out very small. As said above, spent coffee grounds are brilliant.

But, I have a feeling you are referring to soemthing which is discussed on the shroomery - MGMC (miracle Grow Moisture Control I think...?). They use this straight out of the bag as a casing mix. LINK

Interesting, any experience with the MGMC Hypha?

Nope - havent seen it for sale, and casing mix is very easy and cheap anyway....

I've often thought of adding some of those water saving crystals to the casing, anyone ever heard of this before or had any experience doing this? No doubt it has been attempted at some point.

hey guys,just a quick note about those kelp products... apart from the hot cooked n cold pressed varieties, they are also broken into those that are JUST kelp (eg seasol) and those with added nutes to make it a more complete food (eg Maxicrop Emulsion). the Maxi runs from memory about 9:2:6... cool if thats what ya want (no mushie farmer here), just make sure you grab the "right" kind.Anything that lists any N at all has usually been beefed up with nitrates or ammonia phosphate (where the P comes from too in some of em apparently).

happy growing,

GD

Edited by greendreams

I've often thought of adding some of those water saving crystals to the casing, anyone ever heard of this before or had any experience doing this? No doubt it has been attempted at some point.

Stamets lists a soil-less casing formula in GGMM page 200.

Soil-less Casing formula (by volume)

1 unit vermiculite

1 unit "water Crystals"

mix vermiculite and water crystals when dry. Add water untill fully saturated. this mixture can hold up to 90% moisture until its carrying capacity for water is exceeded. Apply a 1.4 to 1/2 inch layer as a casing layer to the surface of the mushroom mycelium.

:)

Thanx WT :)

Yet another project to try out :wink: