The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
reshroomED

Rooting Eileen cuttings

Having lopped poor old Eileen down to a series of 5' stumps (but with a shit-load of pups - 5yrs down the track will be awesome) and doing so at such a late time of year, people are asking me how they'd go rooting a cutting now. Too late for Melbournites, but Brisbane-ish may still be warm enough (possibly?).

Anyone (rev ?) got some solid experience to pass on?

ed

Mate, I'm no expert with Eileen, but I got a 10cm or so cutting about a month back and she's just rooted even after the cold has started.

If you keep in some good sun during the day, should be right.

KlUe

Agreed, rooting mine in prop sand too, no probs so far.

Yeah, In on the Gold Coast and am about to root some Eileen cuts, I find that straight CSS in small terracotta pots is the way to go, dries out really quickly but allows them to root in niecly.

Some Cannazyme works wonders too :) keeps those roots nice and healthy.

Hi Ed,

I have a couple of 'Eileen' cuts now [thanks], the largest one I have [a bit over a foot long and 8-9cm width] I tried to get some roots to strike, must have been a month ago now, well I thought I would check on the progress of the root growth about 2 weeks after putting in sand/potting mix/vermiculite mix and it appeared to be starting to rot a bit. I promptly removed and re-cut for healing. Seems to be too cold were I am now. Am waiting on some perlite [a good inert cutting media], though I will most likely leave them till spring now as I don't want to lose any of this valuable bridgesioid in particular. I have never had any problems striking Trichocereus/Echinopsis cuttings until now, though I usually do all my cuttings in spring. Thought I might give it a go anyway. I can't see there being any real problems with trying to strike one at the right time of year though. I think a few factors contributed to the rot. 1. Too cold and not enough light. 2.Bad choice of cutting mix. 3. Thickness of the cutting.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Hi Ed,

I have a couple of 'Eileen' cuts now [thanks], the largest one I have [a bit over a foot long and 8-9cm width] I tried to get some roots to strike, must have been a month ago now, well I thought I would check on the progress of the root growth about 2 weeks after putting in sand/potting mix/vermiculite mix and it appeared to be starting to rot a bit. I promptly removed and re-cut for healing. Seems to be too cold were I am now. Am waiting on some perlite [a good inert cutting media], though I will most likely leave them till spring now as I don't want to lose any of this valuable bridgesioid in particular. I have never had any problems striking Trichocereus/Echinopsis cuttings until now, though I usually do all my cuttings in spring. Thought I might give it a go anyway. I can't see there being any real problems with trying to strike one at the right time of year though. I think a few factors contributed to the rot. 1. Too cold and not enough light. 2.Bad choice of cutting mix. 3. Thickness of the cutting.

Hi mate,

Try giving 100% propagation sand a go on the top later. Just sit the cut on top and don't water until you notice some roots. Worked for me :) I did give it a bit of a water every couple of weeks, but not a soaking.

Mine took quite a while to root, but she's fine once sending them out.

KlUe

Hey KlUe,

Looks like your'e in the Sydney area too. I've been looking for some prop sand for ages now and to no avail [was hard enough to get the perlite which had to be ordered from Qld]. Really annoying as I just want some decent prop sand for my cuttings and seeds, can't find any. If you know a good place to get some from can you maybe PM me with the details, would be appreciated.

Might just wait till spring anyway now as I am getting bugger all sun now till spring anyway.

Cheers mate.

haha, mail us a lil bit Re and I'll le ya know how they go in brisneyland...my pedro , he is lonely senior! I can mail you some nice coarse deco sand phosphene but you're frontin postage on the stuff :lol: actually anything from fairly fine (not good for much but sprinkling over seeds for various fine seeded things, or in seed shakers) up to about 3-4mm free draining rounded stuff good for capping on pots etc. One day I'll be buried alive in my hillbilly sand mine down the gully at my old mans place, but til then it's handy stuff, full of minerals and with some humic coating to a bit of it (depends where ya dig) from the rainforest mulch sitting on top of it...a foot underneath is just magic smelling clean sand.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to.....

GD

Looks like your'e in the Sydney area too. I've been looking for some prop sand for ages now and to no avail

Hey Phosphene_Dream,

Bunnings should have bags of Brunnings propagation sand, but in my experience the only difference between the products

propagation sand and river sand is the price with river sand being cheaper! You can find this also at Bunnings in the section with the cement, paver's and other landscaping products but any decent nursery should have river sand or if you have a trailer or want to pay for delivery look up local landscaping businesses that supply sands and what not and purchase a ton of river sand for about $30 bucks before delivery.

Hope it helps

Searls washed river sand is the way to go, generally I dont even need to sift it.

I can mail you some nice coarse deco sand phosphene but you're frontin postage on the stuff

Bugger that GD! I will just find some LOL, thanks anyway.

Cheers bob-bob will look into that. I don't drive or have a car LOL. Can't have anything delivered here as it is, shall we say, very inaccessable :wink: Off to Bunnings it is.

Hey KlUe,

Looks like your'e in the Sydney area too. I've been looking for some prop sand for ages now and to no avail [was hard enough to get the perlite which had to be ordered from Qld]. Really annoying as I just want some decent prop sand for my cuttings and seeds, can't find any. If you know a good place to get some from can you maybe PM me with the details, would be appreciated.

Might just wait till spring anyway now as I am getting bugger all sun now till spring anyway.

Cheers mate.

Just got the sand from the local nursery mate, its in with all the ferts and stuff. They should be able to get it in for you, if your local one doesn't stock :)

I've only ever bought propagating sand once in a bag in an emergency - never again, it was crap. Think it was Brunnings brand, it set like concrete because it was so full of sediment, so if you have to get that make sure you wash it.

A nursery might give you a bit loose, I'd imagine they'd buy washed sand in bulk to use. That or a landscape supplies yard.