The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest UV1

Blue Salvia?

Guest UV1

Does anyone know what species the common blue flowering salvia's are?

The have the square shaped stem like the divanorum, leaves have a blueish tinge to them.

Actually I just found out the species is

Salvia farinacea. Anything known about these?

[This message has been edited by UV1 (edited 20 September 2000).]

Guest UV1

Well after no responce, I processed and extracted a sample for vapourising.

It definatly has an effect though how it compares to Salvia D. I have no idea as I've never experienced anything from that(though I've never vapourised an extract).

Anyway I'm going to verify the effects, make sure it wasn't some sort of weird placebo effect. Shall try again tommorow.

While researching Salvia splendens I came across a few sites that considered Salvia farinacea a hybrid of Salvia splendens. But I haven't been able to compare for myself. They could be totally off base.

Guest wira

I've never heard that about farinacea being a splendens hybrid, and I seriously doubt there's any substance to it. Salvia farinacea is recognised as a species on its own, though almost all farinacea you will find in cultivation are cultivars, of which there are many. There's possibly even more different cultivars of Salvia splendens, a very different species. Myself and some others have sampled a number of 'other' Salvia species, and these two are amongst those observed to be active. They are not in the same league as S.d., but are still interesting. Some people, such as Daniel Siebert, don't think splendens is active at all, but there are also plenty of people who swear it works. Some cultivars may be preferable over others, for example some friends found several years ago that the 'Blaze of Fire' S. splendens was the strongest of several splendens varieties tried, all obtained from nurseries in Melbourne.

Some people who have become interested in trying as many Salvias as they can, are of the opinion that they are all active in their own way. I would agree, except to say that some species may be so weak as not to be worth it. It is also looking like many other members of the family Labiatae/Lamiaceae [of which Salvia is also a memeber] are psychoactive. Nepeta, Scutellaria, Stachys, Plectranthus, to name a few, are all genera with species worth investigating.

Once you start growing these plants its hard to stop! They can end up taking up a lot of garden space, there are so many species and some of them can really spread wink.gif

Guest UV1

Hi,

Well I havn't tried the extract again to date, I shall get a friend to try it, see what she thinks. I noticed pupil dilation which made me think I may have poisioned my self and the effects observed were infact poisioning from the solvent which was methanol. I don't believe this is possible as I know it to be pure and there should be no residue remaining. Shall update you soon.

From memory I would say that splendens is a south american species and farinacae is a european species. So they are likely not even all that closely related.

The sizzler series of splendens, which is available virtually everywhere in australia appears to be entirely inactive.

Thank you for clearing that up for me Wira, I had found that a little far fetched but hadn't studied far enough into splendens or the other sages to be sure.

You mention that some belive that most (if not all) sages are active, what about White Sage (Salvia apiana)? Or Black Sage? Has anybody tried them?