The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
No_One

Any web-designers here?

Hey,

Just wondering if there's anyone here that knows what the generic screen specs used in the industry are at the moment, i.e. what rez and size and all that sorta jazz.

I know I should look it up but I'm doing other shit at the moment.

Thanks heaps.

Peace.

I looked into this a little while ago, and there was lots of different opinions... from what I could gather it was a bit of an ongoing argument. One good point I remember was that if you design for smaller resolutions, then when someone with a large res opens it, even though it doesn't fit the width of their page, they can instantly see much more of the page's content. There are also methods of using java to detect the resolution and dynamically adjust the page, but this is obviously dependent on the person having java installed and enabled... the basic idea I got from the articles I read was that it was up to the designer to weigh up the pros and cons in relation to their project.

Hey shiva,

this should help:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

Apparently the most common is 1024x768, but its 54%.

If you are creating a website that would be the resolution to base your design around (IMO). You need to decide whether to use a fixed layout or fluid (i.e. design resizes according to your screen or window size).

I think the resolution question is really difficult to answer, and its only going to get worse, what with the trend towards wide screen monitors, and now affordable small screen devices.

probably best to stick with 1024x768 as your basis but do a fluid design to help those with smaller screens. There are also a number of ways of using css (Cascading Style Sheets) to accommodate other devices.

I wouldn't worry about using javascript, probably more trouble than its worth as far as detecting resolution is concerned..

hope that helps,

Cheers, Obtuse

I wouldn't call myself a designer, but I have played around with css and html a bit. Perhaps I'm missing the point, but if you lay out your page in css, you can set each division to display at a specified size or to resize to fit any window.

However if you really want a resolution I would say 1024x768 is a safe bet - perhaps it's on the small side these days with widescreen monitors etc, but it's a safe bet and you're not going to piss too many people off.

agreed with creach on CSS/flash sites. but taking from the majority there is no pre determined size anymore. the way script are now its baised apon what you set it at as opposed to what the hardware is.

altho id say 1280x1024 is the best bet. its hard to find hard/software that will go under that, atleast to most common specs, (i feel ill be called out on that so ill say...) that being more than 17 monitor is now standard and anything below the old AGP is outdated....

tho ive been told im wrong (and learnt that some cannot take a joke), and has been a while since i built a wedpage, but seriously, best to cover all bases and make it CSS or even flash if one has the effort.

Edited by Amulte

Thanks heaps for the replies guys - legends! :drool2:

The reason I ask is for a myspace music scheme I've got going for our band.

It's SO FUCKEN UGLY using their defaults with a 800 x 600 screen size, the bottom left-to-right scroll bars make it look so messy! The 1280x1024 looks good but I've got an affinity toward the 800 x 600 setting, it would be good if I could get it looking schmick in that size.

Found this site, Myspace Hacking - the dude seems to know his shit - from reading this it seems the regulating factor is their adverts, the image seems to push the width out past (or close to past) the 600px mark which makes the bottom scroll bar come up, if you tamper with it they boot your profile.

I'll keep playing with it.

Once again thanks for the replies. :wub:

Peace