The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pigdog

Seeds. I mean actually curing them or whatever.

Guest Pigdog

Okay I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats to know this, I am feeling much better, thank you for asking smile.gif

Now, I've been meaning to post about this for ages. But being, well, too spirirtual to lift my fingers and bother typing, havn't yet gotten around to it. smile.gif

What I want to know, is generally, what are the "golden rules" for collecting seeds for storage. I don't mean starting a gene bank, just storing .. forget about storing for a minute. Cool&Dry place yada yada that's obvious smile.gif

When you pick the seeds, should you dry em out, I would assume you wouldn't need to with Poppy, Tobacco, wormwood seeds etc, since they're so tiny they'd need all the moiseture they can get. Medium seeds should always be dried unless they have a really hard coat?

Also, I eat mangos. I want to grow one. But these fuckers have *scary* sized seeds. I mean omfg how do you germinate a seed 1/2 the size of your fist?? smile.gif

Danke and umm ciao 4 now smile.gif

--Pigdog

Okay I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats to know this, I am feeling much better, thank you for asking smile.gif

I wish I would get that much attention when I get the flu ;-)

When you pick the seeds, should you dry em out [/b[

All non-tropical seeds should be dried very thoroughly. many tropical seeds also need to be dried fairly well, but many will loose viability as they loose water. Many tropical seeds can't be dried at all and need to be planted immediately, or stored in live, moist sphagnum moss.

Medium seeds should always be dried unless they have a really hard coat?

Hard coat usually measn that you can dry them more than soft coated seeds, as the coat prevents overdrying.

Also, I eat mangos. I want to grow one. But these fuckers have *scary* sized seeds. I mean omfg how do you germinate a seed 1/2 the size of your fist?? smile.gif

This falls into the category of tropical seeds that should be planted asap. Don't know how long they would keep, but the best thing is to plant them the day you eat them. Tropical seeds usually don't like being buried the standard '2 times the width of the seed', but usually rot in their fruit on top of the forest floor litter. I germinate many tropical seeds in (or on top of) sphagnum moss or in coarse sharp sand to imitate this.

Guest Ramon

As far as mango seeds go I have been told by a old farmer ( also a psych patient ) that the best way to get mangoe's seeds to grow was to split them and plant the whats inside.

Guest jessie

We eat a lot of mangoes, and as we bury our fruit and veg scraps in shallow graves around the garden, we have lots of mangoes as well as avacadoes and other fruits growing around the place. So they can't be that hard to germinate.

On an irrelevant note... You know how mango seeds have bits of stringy stuff attached when you've finished eating the fruit? Am I the only one who fashioned mohawks and other attractive hairstyles out of them as a kid???

i spent a bit of time working on a fruit tree nursery a couple of years ago ... we sowed the inner kernel of mango seeds, length along the vertical, about as deep as they are long. unfortunately i wasn't around long enough to see them germinate frown.gif

i don't know the botanical term for it, but the seeds have several parts, and each one can germinate seperately ... beautiful smooth soft ... amazing seed

good growing!

Guest reville

Hey - i think the word is polyembryonic

Limes and mangoes are that. The seed will sprout several seedlings all of which are exact clones of the mother - except one - whih is sexually produced - the largest?

I remove the Husk by cutting a nick in the shell and cutting around the edge - once inside you might run across a borer - get rid of him and put the mango seed flat on its side in well draining soil cover lightly.Put it somewhere warm and presto - up they come.

It wont work for all mangoes as there are apparently 2 races - the Bowen/Kensington is a poly sort and the thai and indian ones arent - but there are exceptions - whats youre favourite?

I had an R2E2 from canarvon once , best ever slabs of mango meat

huge mangoes but not lacking in flavour.

Guest Pigdog

Mangoes rock smile.gif

I think you can tell alot about a person's mental state by whether or not they like mangoes. Who in their right mind would *NOT* love mangoes? smile.gif

--Pigdog