The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tonic

incubation 24 hours?

Does incubation need to be 24-7? For example if a foaf wants to icubate some shrooms does the incubation chamber need to be running at a set temp for 24 hours a day? I would assume that it would need to be running for the 24 hours, but was unsure. I need to let my foaf know as she has no internet connection and wants the information, but cannot find out. If I can get a some feedback I can pass it on to my friend so they can let her know.

Thanks.

g'day,

optimum conditions are a constant temperature of 27 degrees celcius. so, yes you would want the incubator to maintain this temp 24/7. however, if you use a fish tank heater it will not always be on - it will just turn on when the temp. drops below the set temp.

(i'm sure someone will dispute the exact temperature, i've read 27 on several occasions. say approx 27 :) )

hope this helps

soma

Yeah apparently this incubator she has already contains a thermostat that is wired in, so no problems with maintaining the temp I don't think. That is pretty much the information I was after soma_seeker.

So thanks for that, will pass on this info.

I have heard that between 28-30 degrees celsius if the optimum temp for incubation??

GROWTH PARAMETERS

Mycelial Types: Rhizomorphic to linear; whitish in overall color but often bruising bluish where in-

jured.

Standard Spawn Medium: Rye grain. See Chapter III.

Fruiting Substrate: Rye grain; wheat straw; leached horse or cow manure; and/or horse

manure/straw compost balanced to a 71-74% moisture content.

Method of Preparation: See Chapters III, V, and VI. Pasteurization achieved through exposure to

live steam for 2 hours at 1 40°F. throughout the substrate. Straw or compost should be filled to a

depth of 6-12 inches. Straw should be spawned at a rate of 2 cups/sq. ft.

Spawn Run:

Relative Humidify: 90%.

Substrate Temperature: 84-86 °F. Thermal death limits have been established at 106°F.

Duration: 10-14 days.

CO2: 5000-10,000 ppm.

Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.

Type of Casing: After fully run, cover with the standard casing whose preparation is described in

Chapter VIII. Layer to a depth of 1-2 inches. The casing should be balanced to an initial pH of

6.8-7.2,

Post Casing/Prepinning:

Relative Humidify: 90 + %.

Substrate Temperature: 84-86 °F.

Duration of Case Run: 5-10 days.

CO2: 5000-10,000 ppm.

Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.

Light: Incubation in total darkness.

Primordia Formation:

Relative Humidity: 95-100%.

Air Temperature: 74-78 °F.

Duration: 6-10 days.

CO2: less than 5000 ppm.

Fresh Air Exchanges: 1-3 per hour.

Light: Diffuse natural or exposure for 12-16 hours/day of grow-lux type fluorescent light high

in blue spectra at the 480 nanometer wavelength. (See Chapters IV and IX).

Cropping:

Relative Humidity: 85-92%.

Air Temperature: 74-78°F.

CO2: less than 5000 ppm.

Fresh Air Exchanges: 1-3 per hour.

Flushing Pattern: Every 5-8 days.

Harvest Stage: When the cap becomes convex and soon after the partial veil ruptures.

Light: Indirect natural or same as above.

Yield Potential: Average yields are 2-4 Ibs./sq.ft. over a 5 week cropping period. Maximum yield

potential has not been established.

From Stamet's "The Mushroom Cultivator"

ed

Thanks Ed, very informative.

Wish I could afford that book, have seen it a few times but is beyond my price range. Have often thought it would make interesting reading.