The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sholto

calamus seed

does anyone have any tips on growing calamus from seed- germination time, temp., conditions, etc ?

Al;l my previous attempts have failed, but this could be due to old seed. Several of my plants are flowering at the moment, so they should produce some fresh seed soon and I will try again.

Swampy would probably be the best bet.

Al;l my previous attempts have failed, but this could be due to old seed. Several of my plants are flowering at the moment, so they should produce some fresh seed soon and I will try again.

Swampy would probably be the best bet.

Guest theobromus

Two inch deep tray in one inch of water. Water changed regularly. Warm room. Came up very well, from Horizon Herbs seed (of the native American variety) which was probably fresh.

Originally posted by theobromus:

Two inch deep tray in one inch of water.  

-are the seeds just floating around in the water, resting on perlite or what?

from Horizon Herbs seed (of the native American variety) which was probably fresh.

-have you had problems getting seed in the mail in Australia from this company?

thanks for your help

Sholto

Guest theobromus

I am sorry, but I am in England. I had a great-great-uncle who was transported to Australia for murdering his housekeeper, if that is any help.

Guest theobromus

I've never killed anyone as far as I know. Not even servants. So I believe I have done better than he did.

I have just remembered my other connection to Australia. An Australian introduced me to the fipple flute, for which I will be grateful all my life.

sholto, i managed one successful germination from about 20 seed from Allies ... sown in sterile seed raising mix in a terrarium ... kept moist and under lights 16/24 hours at about 25 deg C

happy with that one germination since it's been readily propogated by division since ...

happiness

ea

12 days germination

- wide lateral root growth

- treat as Iris, but heavier watering and sun

- frost-hardy when established

beautiful plant

thanks EA! managed to germinate a couple of seeds just by soaking them in water for a week- transfered to seed mix, but they haven't broken the surface yet(1 week). I've been doing a lot of seed raising lately, but it's been fairly hit and miss- should get myself a heating pad and a propagation chamber. How neccessary is light to germination- seeds don't photosynthesise underground, surely?

don't quote me smile.gif but generally it is temperature and moisture that are critical to a seed's germination.

light becomes a factor as soon as the seedling breaks the soil, the seed is designed (?) to supply enough nutrients to the new shoot to get it to the surface, once there photosynthesis becomes the main source of energy for the plant. this is why depth is so important to seed raising, because if the food stores of the seed run out before the seedling reaches the surface, and therefore light, then it will die.

did the calamus actually sprout while soaking in the water? interesting ... be careful that you didn't plant them to deep for the above reasons

happiness

ea

yeah, in the water- thought i'd try that seeing it's an aquatic plant and all.

so how deep is too deep for a seed? i usually put them <5mm

Guest theobromus

It depends on the habit of the plant. Many poppies are weeds that colonise newly turned earth so will only germinate when lying on top of the soil. They determine this by detecting light levels.

I have just noticed the question disguised as a quote from me. I soaked the seeds in room temperature water for 2 days first then put them in compost standing in water. Coir compost.

so how deep is too deep for a seed?

as a general rule, seed should be sown at a depth equal to 2 times their diameter ... any deeper and they may not make it. if they've sprouted already before sowing, use your own judgement depending on the stage of growth of the sprout