The Corroboree
Yeti101

Weird Unidentified Things

I'm not even 100% sure that these belong in Mycology 'cause I've never seen any fungi throw spores that large, but this sure doesn't look like any plant I've ever come across. Any ideas on what these things are?

post-25-1178173394_thumb.jpg post-25-1178173569_thumb.jpg

P4280499.JPG

P4280502.JPG

P4280499.JPG

P4280502.JPG

WTF?!?! They look like specialty chocolates or sht of some sort :P

Yeah birdsnest is fairly common in the nursery trade, a lot of stock has the fruiting bits just scraped off the surface of the mix before they get sent out, giving you a hitchhiker, those spore lumps are sticky as hell too. I find them blown over a foot up stems of plants at work. From memory, half a tsp of copper sulphate to 10 litres water makes a mess of it, but any spores you don't treat can still get going again. The myc has a weird smell, almost a metallic iodine smell... foul stuff. Tends to make mixes repel water too.

Not sure what the name of the actual cannonball is... they are very hard, like miniature passionfruit seeds almost, shiny and dense. Didn't try biting one :P

Can be a shit to get rid of in garden beds with woody mulches sometimes, tends to like its uncomposted bark fines etc.

Thanks guys, I didn't know what I had there.