The Corroboree
Coschi

MELBOURNE FINDS !!!!

bloody hell, these elusive little critters we are all scowering the parks of melbourne to find are winning in the hiding department!!! i keep looking around where i live and i cant find them!!!! shit loads of the non magic kind. the day will come when i find the little suckers.. . :wink:

post-4445-1210864327_thumb.jpg

I found a few yesterday. Wasn't expecting to find any after the warm dry weather when I hadn't been finding much in the cold wet weather, so I didn't take the camera. They're definately out there though. The rain next week should really get them going.

Went for a hunt with a couple of mates recently but left my camera in the car most of the time so not many pics.

post-4418-1211085195_thumb.jpg

post-4418-1211085733_thumb.jpg

post-4418-1211085878_thumb.jpg

post-4418-1211085962_thumb.jpg

Edited by baphomet

^I hope you told your mates to stop pulling them out by the "roots" FFS.

They forgot the plastic knives, I had originally mentioned this in my post but have since edited it, they tried to get some from a servo on the way but they only had spoons.

I don't get why people get so judgemental about it. I used to get shitty with my friends for doing it, but they were our spots, and I wanted to be able to come back and take more photos from time to time.

I think it's strange to do it, because it is akin to chopping down an apple tree because you want to eat some apples, but really I don't know if it is anyone elses business other than the people who found the patch.

EDIT: baphomet, tell your friends to try pinching the base with their fingers to break them off, although this can be hard without nails.

Edited by ballzac

I don't get why people get so judgemental about it.

it might be "their spot", but when it doesn't produce more & they have to move on it might be your spot that gets wasted.

EDIT: baphomet, tell your friends to try pinching the base with their fingers to break them off, although this can be hard without nails.

Thanks man, they did in most cases :)

it might be "their spot", but when it doesn't produce more & they have to move on it might be your spot that gets wasted.

They got hundreds from there and I know of plenty of other spots where they can do the same thing, NP :shroomer:

post-4418-1211159901_thumb.jpg

Not to encourage pillaging... but are the effects of disturbing the mycelium known? Obviously removing large areas of mycelium would have a negative impact on the "patch" and could even kill it, but small areas might cause a regrowth effect similar to pruning plants. I dunno. Just a thought.

My regular spots were ravaged regularly when I was young and I noticed no ill effects, still used to get hundreds every time.

Edited by baphomet

Someone in an earlier thread reffered to evidence that disturbing the mycelium (with a fork) actually stimulates greater fruiting a year or two later.

Nabraxas- You must live in an area where mushrooms are not common. Melbourne is covered with subs during the right weather. You couldn't change that if you tried.

Just spoke to a mate and it turned out he had gone to the same spot the day before and got about 400, so much for mycelium needing extended periods to recover :lol:

I thought I might also mention that tomorrow is the first full moon of may :wink:

Edited by baphomet

just found some pins popping up along my street got pics on my camera just cant find the blasted cord.

imagine my suprise when i got home to find this little fella had popped up next to my mapacho plant in my bedroom.

- no wood chips in sight either :wink:

post-4306-1211193916_thumb.jpg

Interesting little mushroom, doesn't really look like a sub though.. stem's too straight, too fragile and not white enough... also too conical for something that's that tall. If he's full grown take a spore print..

Yes you have mate. :) :) Congrats.

yays :wub: special thanks to GREENHOUSE for all his tips and directions, and everybody else who helped me in my many ID forums! :)

Congratulations dude :)

As I said before.. today is the first full moon in may, (the official start of the season) so a foaf and another couple of supersticious n00bs will be going for another hunt, will post pics tomorrow.

Edited by baphomet

I think it's strange to do it, because it is akin to chopping down an apple tree because you want to eat some apples, but really I don't know if it is anyone elses business other than the people who found the patch.

i think its more akin to picking an apple with a little bit of twig or maybe a leaf attached.. :P

but theyre apples an oranges really,.. it really is better to cut the stems at the ground because then you leave any developing primordia to develop and you can come back and photograph them a couple of days later!

few noobie questions. if a FOAF wanted to ingest these mushrooms hyperthetically of course, how long would they last if not dried?

and would refrigerating help preserve them for an extended period of time?

thanks in advance.

You do realise that hyperthetically means excessively?

Of course, if you meant hypOthetically, then I can answer your question. If they are very fresh they will last a few days in the fridge, or a day or two outside the fridge in cold weather. After that period they will still be suitable for a tea for another couple of days, but the larvae (read maggots) that reside in the stem will have made their way into the cap and will be very fat and unappetising if the mushrooms were eaten. After that stage, the mushrooms will turn to useless powder, maggot shit I guess.

Pics courtesy of a foaf, taken this morning. Shame you couldn't make this one SM :(

post-4418-1211341856_thumb.jpg

post-4418-1211341926_thumb.jpg

post-4418-1211342245_thumb.jpg

Edited by baphomet