The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Aya

About to plant some cuttings

So i'm about to plant some cuttings and i'll be putting them in perlite until roots emerge then placing in a cacti mix, but from what i've read this shouldn't be done over winter. But i dont really have much of a choice, since i dont want to experience the cacti and these are the only cuttings i have and want them to grow and hopefully pup.

So is trying to root them and get them established over winter a folly or is it possible? I'll keep the two cuttings indoors in a dry area and will give them artificial sunlight for a couple of hours each day. How does this sound?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Love & Light

They will be fine kept in a cardboard box until the end of winter, then they can be potted - this will avoid rot and they will root just as fast anyway. They can happily throw roots out while sitting on a shelf or in a box - they dont need dirt, not until the cold has passed.

That being said, if you were to put them in pots with soil, they will simply sit there dormant and start putting out roots and growth in spring, all the same, but the temptation to water is there, and that can lead to rot.

Hope that helps :)

So the better option would be to just leave them in a cardboard box until the end of winter and then pot? This wont do any damage to them?

Yep - that'd be more than fine. Keep them in a laundry cupboard or something similar - where the temps are standard room temps, in pitch black or even on a brightly lit shelf would be fine. I have had a few pedro cuts sitting in my shed in a box for about 3 months - they all have roots about 1-2cms long, ready to pot up now, but I'll probably trade these off or wait till spring before planting.

The only thing that could damage them is if the box gets wet without you realising and introducing some sort of moulds. Keep them dry as a bone and they'll be fine to chill til spring :wink:

Thanks for the advice Ace. :wink:

I think i'll be doing this as i dont want to risk planting them and then getting them infected.

Hope they serve you well (or the other way around? :P) Aya. Nothing nicer than growing your own cacti garden - just remember patience is the key :wink:

You can always just pot em up and keep them under the eves of the house, and move them out on good days and bring them under cover when needed. Just watch watering and allow a rain or two over the winter. Shouldnt be a problem, root formation will be slow, but it will happen. :)

Bd

You can always just pot em up and keep them under the eves of the house, and move them out on good days and bring them under cover when needed. Just watch watering and allow a rain or two over the winter. Shouldnt be a problem, root formation will be slow, but it will happen. :)

Bd

Thanks BlackDragon. I might take them out in a couple of weeks and just leave them potted in my room.

I just want to have them out so i can enjoy there ambient presence!

I would say it depends on where exactly you live and the species that you are talking about.

I would persoanlly still plant up bridgesii cuttings where I am, water a little in the morning so they wouldn't be wet at night. pachs I doubt would be a problem just about anywhere. If you can get them to form roots between now and spring you'll have that little extra growing period.

I say pot em :wink:

I would say it depends on where exactly you live and the species that you are talking about.

I would persoanlly still plant up bridgesii cuttings where I am, water a little in the morning so they wouldn't be wet at night. pachs I doubt would be a problem just about anywhere. If you can get them to form roots between now and spring you'll have that little extra growing period.

I say pot em :wink:

There Pach cuttings, and i have one Bridgesii on the way. I'm in the sydney area also.

I just want to get them out since it's such a shame to leave such beautiful things in a box for 3 months. I have a nice windowsill for them and as long as i dont give much water if any between now and spring they should be fine right?

Going by the fact that they are pachs (I find bridgesii root slightly slower, but I have very limited exp with them) they should do fine on a sunny windowsill. Keep them warm and well lit, only watering very occasionally and they will have a good head start :) As soon as things start warming up, give it some slow release nutes and a weak seasol watering and they'll all start loving their new owner :wink: