The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Silly Billy

papaver somniferum

Guest Silly Billy

im just wondering about the legality of these guys i read that papaver somniferum is legal to grow in the UK how about here?

Nope, illegal under the narcotic drugs act 1967 (see www.austlii.edu.au ).

However, I am told that a wander through suburban streets will often reveal them in people's gardens, since they used to be common garden plants before the law was passed. (I say this to indicate that an accidental cultivation could easily occur, not that you should go and pinch them)

At least one brand of poppy seed from the supermarket (Hoyts I think it was -- plastic bag with red brand label) is reputedly fertile.

I wonder what the legality of selling the seed is, if it is in seed packets 'for cultivation'?

It is obvioulsy legal as a food ingredient.

Guest UV1
Originally posted by rkundalini:

At least one brand of poppy seed from the supermarket (Hoyts I think it was -- plastic bag with red brand label) is reputedly fertile.[/b]

You wouldn't waste your time growing plants from this source. It's not the Tasmanian Blue as has often been rumoured. The Hoyts poppy seeds are the common bread making papaver variety

"A low-morphine poppy for seed. Bears solitary, pastel blossoms on tall stalks, followed by large seed pods which produce seeds for baking when mature. This variety is specially produced for extremely low morphine content, having less than 0.01% in the dried seed capsule."

[This message has been edited by UV1 (edited 23 June 2000).]

Guest mulga

I have known of situations where more than one variety of commercial poppy seeds were used to grow very active poppy plants.

Of course organic is probably the best, but despite the story (truth?) that poppy seeds have been irradiated to sterilise them, I know that they have produced viable plants. Though admittedly, it apears pre soaking in warm to hot water helps with germination.

Beutiful flowers, but truly I haven't seen many that didn't have very pale flowers.

Guest UV1

Other than Hoyts which is active but a dud species, what other brand have you tried?

Hi,

I just posted a response to this question here in one of your other forums.

However, since I am new here I will mention the information once again.

papaver somniferam seeds are not illegal in most countries including the Unigted SStates.

I have a book I wrote in 1978 on Opium Poppy cultivation.

It has now been reproduced at the following web site:

http://www.erowid.org

Also Poppy seeds (known as Dutch blue [pPapaver somniferam]) can be purchased in America at any Bar and Restaurant Supply firm. Where , as mentioned above are known as "Dutch Blue." It is illegal however to to grow them.

You can find these seeds for sale in most American cities. Just look in t a phone directory for Bar and Restaurant Supplies. They are around $6-10 dollars for a 3 pound can of seeds.

I used to sell seeds in High tTimes back in 1977-1984.

I just remembered an interesting incident which I espied back about ten years ago.

I was living in Hawaii and visiting the Pacific Northwest United States.

I stopped by Homestead Book Company, the publishers of Paul Stamets first mushroom book "Psilocybe mushrooms and their Allies," and the owner of this book distributorship had several copies of my poppy book for sale and attached to the back of each book was an actual package of Papaver somniferam seeds stapled to the back cover. The seeds were from some company in England.

Hehehehe. I gave one of the books to my colleague Mark Merlin.

Merlin has contributed a beautiful book on oipates called "On the Trail of the Ancient Opium Poppy."

mjshroomer

and have a shroomy day

[This message has been edited by mjshroomer (edited 13 July 2000).]