The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hagakure

Do we have free will?

oh yes, this old chestnut.

free will, yay or nay?

which one means yes?

we have an illusion of free will

which allows for simultaneous yay and nay answer in this world of quantum wierdness

i was just talking about this with my girl just about 20 mins ago, we have a free choice within limitations of our reality and society, so what we experience past and present, influences, our beliefs, the law, morals we have choice within that set, so it is very limited to our own reality.

Guest onemind

nay. Cause and effect are out of our hands.

We have free will alright

Wether or not your will can land you in gaol is another matter..... Yes thats right gaol the australian prison

Well if your psychotic I suppose free will is in the eye of the beholder but we have that factored into law.

Perhaps the Reverse Vampires in conjunction witht he saucer people are controlling our minds and we don't really have free will. Or maybe the matrix got it right.

FREE WILL HE'S INNOCENT I TELLS YA!!!

I think our will is free only to the extent our minds allow, take a look at acts of heroism i.e. when you are operating on what's almost God mode to save people or whatever, or even people that are depressed due to unhealthy cognitive behaviour, your will can do whatever it believes it can do, it's just a matter of getting your body to do it.

Ok well we have free will as far as our bank account will allow

I reacon so you could have the will to do something you just can't afford to. For example I would love to go to the strippers everyday. But my current financial situation doesn't allow it.

Lol, i guess. However if you really wanted to get in, a real man wouldent let a petty thing like money and the law get in the way lol. thats freewill. However our freedoms dont cover that so yea, the long hand of the law is always watching.

I reacon so you could have the will to do something you just can't afford to. For example I would love to go to the strippers everyday. But my current financial situation doesn't allow it.

thats applies to cause and effect, if we had freewill i would choose something now and it would be created as i thought that thought, say i would love a ferrari right now if i had freewill i would have it sitting in the front of my beachfront property that i would own with a bed stacked with $100 bills, and ethnos growing wild in the backyard, we have limitations to everything we think, say or do if it was upto freewill we would all be free of everything in this reality.

Edited by spudamore

if we had freewill i would choose something now and it would be created as i thought that thought

That initial germ of thought then has to manifest into reality, to do this it needs your body. Your body is governed by certain laws, both natural and man made.

If all laws are honoured, and remember it's only a crime if you get caught, than your will is free to do what it wants.

well, as i set out in the previous thread on this one, without free will you do not act, you just act out. if life is just acting out, there isnt any real interaction or change, just a bunch of puppets going through motions dictated by the original impulse which set the charade going. you wind up positing a non-space-time creator/programmer who somehow makes a space-time event out of nothing because of a non-entity desire to watch itself. seems extremely clumsy and counterintuitive to me, but each to their own.