The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Fungal hosts for Amanita

Guest reville

In anticipation of an australian supply of spores or if need be an import - Im trying to find out which plants are suitable hosts for the species of Amanita. Amanita is the primary concern because it appears hard if not impossible to cultivate in vitro

So far species of birch and pine for amanita seem the best, but im wondering if anyone has info on whether Pinus pinaster is suitable(my local one).I saw amanita on P radiata once in second valley,south australia - it was a deep red colour (eurasian type?).Also does anyone know off hand when to propagate birch by cuttings?

>Amanita is the primary concern because it appears hard if not impossible to cultivate in vitro

I only know of it growing on radiata pine, but I have heard it can grow on others too. The mycelium only grows inside the live roots of the plant, which is why it is so hard to grow in vitro. other species which use the same growth mechanism have been grown successfully in labs, but there isn't enough commercial potential for this species to warrant such expensive methods.

>Also does anyone know off hand when to propagate birch by cuttings?

All deciduous trees are best propagated from dormant wood. take cuttings in autumn after dormancy is established, place in fridge for 4 weeks and then strike on heat bed. Alternatively take the cuttings just before shoot emergence in spring and place in propagation mix outside.