The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pigdog

General Poppy Question..

Guest Pigdog

This isn't directed at any specific poppy strain, but I was just wondering whether or not it's possible/feasable to strike cuttings from them. I've just had some apparently rather elusive poppy seeds germinate, and, was wondering in advance whether their style of growth permits a person to take cuttings.

Only ask cos I've thrown alot of seeds away trying to cultivate them indoors and out, and now I've finally got a few it'd be nice if I could propagate by cutting.

Unfortunately, I'm assuming for some reason, that poppy's have the same sortta shape as Tobacco, so side shoots would be few and spindly.

Wonder if I can see this message when it's posted. I posted one yesterday in the Enthobotanicals forum about HBWR seeds and I still can't see it.

Anyhow, ciao smile.gif

--Pigdog

Poppies cannot be propagated by cuttings as far as I know. In growth mode tha plant will be a rosette of leaves which emanates froma single centre. then as it goes into flowering mode it sends up a single stalk with a few leaves on it. This stalk cannot root and will put all energy into flowering. In any case all Papavers HATE being transplanted.

About your other problem, try to hit the reload button a few times - it might fix it.

Although, I must admit that the other day one of my posts went missing too.

Guest Pigdog
About your other problem, try to hit the reload button a few times - it might fix it. Although, I must admit that the other day one of my posts went missing too.

Yer it's alright I found it yesterday, just dissapeared momentarily I guess smile.gif

On a brighter night, my second Brugmansia seed has survived the pitfalls of childbirth, with a little help from me smile.gif

I had to completely cut it out of it's "membrane" after it had growna root system, cos the first seed-leaves couldn't seem to get out by themselves.. ..this is little wonder, since the membrane is very thick for a seedling .. So after operating on the tiny seed with a razor-blade, it has finally started turning green and heading for the light smile.gif

Woohoo smile.gif

--Pigdog