The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

pollinating salvia d.

giday

I have about twenty salvia plants and all of them are starting to flower does anybody have any experienced hints on how to pollinate them,has anyone had sucess with this?Were they viable at all?

I am attempting this for the first time this year as well. Although my flowers are still a few weeks away. Little is known about the timing and pollination vector, but the greatest problem with seed development isn't actually the pollination, but the abscission of th pollentube as it reaches the .....now what's that word...'female gamete' will do.

This can't be avoided and a maximum of 20% fertilisation can be expected (from memory). the seed viability isn't much better, also being about 20%. Fresh would probably be best. There are a couple of places selling the seeds at inflated prices and I have had only disappointing reports from people trying this. Maybe if we produce lots of seed the prices will come down so that more genetic variation can be spread.

please stay in touch with this one, as we may learn from each other.

Does anyone know the number of chromosomes that Salvia d. has? Has it got the same number as any other Salvia species and has anyone produced a hybrid with any other Salvia species? Just a wondering.

Also saw 7 or so seeds for sale for US 50 dollars on a website recently.

Had a look at a site on Salvia d. botany www.sabia.com/salvia/

It says that it is a diploid and has 11 chromosome pairs (n=11) I think I may be getting a flower on my plant, hope so.

Later.