The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Big cactus, GOOD pic

So, as mentioned in the id sub forum, I was priviledged enough to meet this guy today.

I feel comfortable saying this is one of the biggest examples in the country (nz). I am extremely saddened that in 6 weeks time this guy is going to be ripped down by the new owners of the property.

I have carried away maybe 10 metres of this guy, and it doesn't even look like I've touched it.

He is at least 20 years old, and the base of the trunk far too wide to wrap an adults outstretched arms around. Photo hardly does it justice, it's presence is awe inspiring...

big_cpm.jpg

Nice one :wink: Looks like Cereus peuvianus 'monstrose', but the flowers make me think maybe not. You're lucky to get some good cuts bit. Keep us posted with some pics of how your cuts go.

Thanks for sharing.

Here's what I managed to get home - photo doesn't do it justice again, this stuff is THICK!

The metal ruler is 4 feet long (yes the cat is big) (yes there IS a cat in this pic heh).

_MG_1541.jpg

Would like an ID for this one if poss?

_MG_1543.jpg

Mostrose, almost cristate?

_MG_1545.jpg

Insane, that thing is bloody huge! would be worth a fortune retail.

SO they were flower buds after all.. :)

Good god bit! that thing is enormous !!!! Great find.

Thanks guys

I would love to have taken the rootball, but I had to leave the area tidy, and I didn't have a shit show of getting many more branches into my car so they would have had to stay strewn on the ground.

Further goolging has revealed that this is definitely the rarer cristate monstrose variety, which is nice to know.

The second pic in the second post - still looking for a positive id. Spachianus? Terscheckii? The diameter is about 20cm, and spines up to 5cm long.

Also, I need some advice on planting it. The previous owner ripped it out of the ground quite brutally, and it has one main root, and a couple smaller ones left. Definitely missing one or two big roots now. Should I cut it and let it re-root, or put it as is back into the ground?

Cheers.

Bit, I would probabaly jst leave it dry rooted for a couple of week, so the damaged roots can heal over, then plant it up. although you could cut it in 1/2 first.

Personaly, I prefer to put plants like that into straight CSS for a while until the rootball gets a bit bigger and the plant a bit more vigerous.,

Once again. bloody nice one..

Bit, I would probabaly jst leave it dry rooted for a couple of week, so the damaged roots can heal over, then plant it up. although you could cut it in 1/2 first.

Personaly, I prefer to put plants like that into straight CSS for a while until the rootball gets a bit bigger and the plant a bit more vigerous.,

Once again. bloody nice one..

Thanks for the tip - what's CSS though? Thinking I may cut it in half, that way I have two plants :)

SOOOO SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

sad the new owners will rip it down. id try to meet the new owners and BUG/BEG them not too. i mean WOW!!!

thank you SOOO Much for posting the pic!!

I'm guessing tricocereus Pascana on the one you weren't sure of.

They have those reddish spines

CSS is 'Clean Sharp Sand' and can be bought as "washed River Sand" although most bags are fine as is some have to be sifted to get out the finer stuff as this glogs up the draining abilities and can help to form a hard crust/block.

CSS is great for all kind sof things, in particular I pot disease prone or damaged cacti in it with no or next to no soil, that way you can keep a much btter control over the plant only using dilute soluble ferts.

Very very nice find Bit - seems that you are finding a few big old cacti in NZ - lucky bugger!!

I have just come back from a coastal trip where I managed to have a walk thru an old cactus nursery/garden (now gone bust and private property) where there would have been a good 15 Cereus peruvianus monstrose - just amazing!! I even managed to get a couple cuttings - wish I had have brought pics - will have to wait till tomorrow to share.

With your cuttings, leave them in a warmish but fairly shady/dark place until they cork up nicely, then pot up either in sand or sandy soil. They should start rooting and putting out growth in spring/summer next season.

BTW, the plants I saw had flower buds on them and a few mature fruit (I managed to get a fruit and I have got all the seeds drying atm - wish I had have scored more tho...) as well as crestate and mostrose growth patterns on each plant.

I think its clear to say that monstrose varieties definately have both crestate and knobbly/random growth habits, and have the ability to flower and produce fruit. Lets hope this is the case for TBMs!!!

Never heard of a flowering TBM.

Thanks guys :)

The oldest TBM I've seen only looks 5 or so years old, and with the near absence of areole's it's no wonder flowering is rare?