The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
faustus

oxytocin mediates pro-social effects of MDMA

that ecstasy study article claims that it's possible oxytocin may reduce or inhibit sexual performance, but other studies have shown that oxytocin can induce erection, and that while erection is still possible, the sensation of masturbation is blunted/dulled by oxytocin blocking drugs. google "oxytocin erection" for the articles and studies :)

that ecstasy study article claims that it's possible oxytocin may reduce or inhibit sexual performance, but other studies have shown that oxytocin can induce erection, and that while erection is still possible, the sensation of masturbation is blunted/dulled by oxytocin blocking drugs. google "oxytocin erection" for the articles and studies :)

IME its never been an erection problem, but it's been hard to climax on xtc, but I don' think hard or difficult is the right word, because the words 'hard' and 'difficult' imply that I was trying to acheive orgasm when infact I was already their internally IMO. One of the magical things about sex on x is that foreplay can last for hours. I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. It seems to be more about exploring yourself and someone else (and someone else :lol:) than about trying to get off. This somewhat explains my experiences to me anyways. Since there's already been a release of oxytocin from the xtc, there's no reason to race to the finish line so to speak, and the intimacy of the act becomes the focus and can be drawn out. It's sort of a Be Here Now type of experience. Plus, little things like massages, feathers, hot, cold, and even pain seem to all be pleasurable stimulus. These are experienced as being new and unconditioned. They are examinations rather than reactions.

excellent thoughts, however i'd be cautious of drawing too many conclusions from experience with x. it seems as though nobody here has had oxytocin.

i'm interested in this because it's the chemical that bonds mammals. maternalism and monogamy both seem to driven by this stuff, and let's face it, that has had a pretty enormous effect on this planet. imagine if the first sentient species on this planet was reptilian, cold, survivalistic - careless and loveless. can love be completely ascribed to one chemical?

not sure if it's been mentioned before, but there been a few studies showing that oxytocin increases trust between strangers in a game (from memory, some sort of investment game) where you can get screwed over by the stranger, but through cooperation there can be mutual gain. ATM there's a study at UNSW using intranasal oxytocin in marriage counselling in order to enhance feelings of trust between the couples.

can love be completely ascribed to one chemical?

most definitely more than one, but i believe chemicals nonetheless

http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/media/2007...ve_hormone.html

Unleashing the love hormone

http://' target="_blank"> 29 May 2007

Kissing-couple_inside.jpg Couples who’ve considered counselling to improve their relationship are being encouraged to join a UNSW study testing whether a so-called "love hormone" can help relationships by boosting empathy and communication.

Beginning this month, the free trial involves five assessment and counselling sessions by psychologists at the UNSW School of Psychology. The clinic is running assessment trials for heterosexual couples who’ve been together for at least two years and feel they need some help to improve the quality of their relationship.

Eligible couples will receive four therapy sessions involving assessment and specific suggestions on how they can enhance their relationship. A final assessment is then conducted six weeks later.

Half of the couples in the trial will receive oxytocin, a naturally occurring hormone known to enhance sexual pleasure, assist childbirth and promote milk production during breastfeeding. The hormone is released by the brain’s pituitary gland in response to physical contact such as hugging and being massaged.

Participants would receive the hormone in the form of a nasal spray, according to Dr Adam Guastella, a clinical psychologist who will lead the novel study.

"We will be testing whether oxytocin influences the counselling process by assisting couples to improve their communication and empathy skills in the therapy room," says Dr Guastella.

"Research reveals that oxytocin can enhance one’s ability to notice and correctly interpret emotions in others. The hormone appears to promote trust and to encourage socially cooperative behaviour in humans – attributes that may improve the processes and outcomes of couples counselling.

"Relationship satisfaction is without doubt one of the most important things to an individual’s happiness. Couples can fall into certain types of communication patterns that seem to be particularly detrimental to relationship satisfaction.

"Couples can get so entrenched in these patterns they don’t know where to start to make positive changes. For couples in the mild to moderate distress range, a five-week assessment and feedback program has been found to be just as effective as longer-term therapy."