The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Smoke treating seeds

This year, for the first time, I've been smoke treating seeds.

I have the habit of liking to inhale some for myself too :lol: and so I'm trying to work out whats good to burn to give seeds that boost. First I tried a bit of dollar store sandalwood incense, smelled relatively nice (considering that 200 sticks was $1) but didnt give too good a boost to seeds. Next I pressed regular sage into blocks, lit them, blew on them (yum, sage smoke) and let them burn in the smoking chamber- this gave a nice boost to Eriodictyon angustifolium seeds and even caused some sort of seed to sprout which must have just been sitting in moist soil for months :unsure: . Now I'm trying ashwagandha leaves rolled into cigarettes, inhaling half for me, and blowing half uninhaled into the chamber. I like this way better (nice smoke that produces a very mild intoxication) but I'm running out of responsive seed, so yeah... whats good to smoke thats packed with desert plant germination inducing butenolides or whatever?

I believe a common method used for Eucalypts that require smoke treatment is to actually treat them with "smoke water" This is essentially made by bubbling smoke through water (just like a bong) and therefore the goodies that the seed needs are left in the water and help it germinate after a soaking in the water. I believe u can actually buy it at my local nursery in 2L bottles.

Edited by naja naja

Guruna, one of the SAB-child stores, if it is still active sells Smoke Water.

Our member Rimbaud was/is the proprieter, but he is OS now...

Yeah I think I will go for smoke water instead of smoke chamber.. it'll make it easy to treat lots of seed without lighting a camp fire in my hothouse :lol:

I'm up to my nipples in sturdy 1 gallon jugs so I'll just designate one my smoke-water-making-jug to avoid hormone contamination of other stuff... in my admittedly inadequate testing sofar it seems any mix with sage that I tried beat any mix without, and over here the desert plants that burn yearly have terpenoids like those in sage so I should be able to just play with resinous terpenoid bearing herbs til I find a nice smoking mix I can blow in the jug :)

:scratchhead: hmm, I can get an unlimited supply of Artemisia tridentata for free. Yummy smoke :wub:

Oh and I believe I figured out what that unexpected seed that germinated was- it looked like Peganum harmala. I used some cactus soil for P. harmala last year and recycled that soil this year. Wacky fucking desert plants staying dormant for a year :rolleyes: but I didnt figure out what it was til I killed it :BANGHEAD2: