The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jesus On Peyote

Pedro Growth rate

Heya,

im planning on getting afew pedro cuttings at around 10cm or so and seeing as theld be aged abit more then a smaller seeding, im wondering if anyone knows the average growth rates outdoors in melbs climate?

SWIM has 2 under a 400wt globe, in i think average "AMGROW succulent and cacti soil" and he says says they grow between half a centermeter to 1 centermeter every day. so i wouldent mind knowing how they go for bigger patches when outside at an established size.

And also since im in here can anyone name some good fertalizers for cacti? Also would do people think about AMGROW soils? im no expert but from what i can tell its not the best, but seems to be doing a good job but theres always a possibility of going better.

Thanks

i dont know about in melbourne but i'm in south east queensland and they can easily grow around 50 cm a year in the right conditions from my experience. But they grow year round here they would probably stop growth during winter there or at least slow down somewhat. You could probably expect about a foot at least. Just my opinion.

JoP, if you plan on getting the most out of them, I think it would be a good idea to keep them in large pots (the bigger the pot, the faster the growth), cycling from indoors over late autumn/winter and outdoors over spring/summer/early autumn. This should ensure a year round constant cycle of growth (AFAIK, this is fine for the cactus, they shouldnt need overwintering). Also, dont be afraid to give them heaps of water - when in constant heat (about 28C+ each day) - you should be able to water them once a week to once a fortnight with some amazing results.

As far as fertilisers go - any all purpose slow release should be fine. It might be worth giving them a little seasol once every couple weeks/months for a bit of extra lovin' :wink:

Also, I have recently crumbled a few spent cakes of edible mushies over all my cacti and garden in the hope of assisting the soil a little. This was only recently, so no noticeable effects as yet - but could be a good idea for a few growers with access to such materials :)

Exelent, great info guys, thanks.

Ace,whats the reasoning for using spent cakes? iv never thought bout that b4.. for nutes? i would have thought it would encourage fungus growth?? sounds interesting .

Exelent, great info guys, thanks.

Ace,whats the reasoning for using spent cakes? iv never thought bout that b4.. for nutes? i would have thought it would encourage fungus growth?? sounds interesting .

I too am interested in knowing the reasoning behind this... is it the consistency of the verm, or are you interested in getting some mycelium growing in the soil... I think I remember a book by Stamets that studied the concept of mycelium as an intergral ecological element.

i would imagine ace is probally thinking more along the lines of mushroom mulch... but im not him, so dont quote me

Pedro's will grow 1 - 2 feet per year in melbourne, dependant upon the size and root base of the plant in question. An established 2 - 3 foot pedro will grow 1 1/2 to 2 feet over the course of a growing season. The bigger the plant, the more it'll grow.

I've used Yates Thrive - Cacti & Succulents liquid fertiliser with some degree of success over this past growing season, the cacti love it, and put off nice new healthy growth but it doesn't quite provide the super boost that i get from using Miracle Grow, they love it even more!

The Amgrow cacti & succlent potting mix is alright, but it could be better, i've been using the Debco Cacti & Succulent Potting Mix this past growing season with phenomenal success. The cacti love it, and mixed up with some perlite and scoria and a bit of slow release osmocote granules chucked in the mix it makes for a super cosmic combination, resulting in super happy, super cosmic cacti!

Hope this helps. Good luck growing. :lol: :lol: