The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
earthalchemist

Dried Poppies in Aust?

i've heard of these being sold for flower arranging, but haven't seen them anywhere in Australia, and the florists i've asked give me weird looks ;)

anyone?

happiness

earthalchemist

Hi

I,ve also read about dried poppy pods being used in flower arranging and wondered whether they were available in aust.but forgot all about it until the other day I was in our bathroom(I share a house with a couple)brushing my teeth,I looked down at a small dried flower arrangement on the vanity and there it was,one small dried poppy pod.Dont know where the flowers came from Tracy said she,d had it for afew years.I guess somewhere somehow they are available if your keen.You could always grow your own.see ya.

Guest reville

ive got a couple of questions.I know its illegal to grow the opium poppy - guy go busted in perth here a few years back with a backyard full of them!But for knowledges sake

i wanted to know whether it was all varieties

of papaver somniferum that produced the latex and opiates, and whether there are any other species or varieties that arinactive but easily confused, because ive come across thes huge podded poppies in gardens now and then and have always assumed there something else (large greyblue leaves stalks up to 0.8 - 1m red,red/white flowers)

Paeony flowered poppies are pretty common in gardens and they look identical to opium poppies. These are legal to grow, Over in the west anyway, but are just a double flowered opium poppy ( Papaver somniferum paeoniferum? ). I don't know of any similar looking species that is commonly grown. These are usually sold as Paeony Poppies.

[This message has been edited by garret (edited 30 April 2000).]

Also a site with info on cultivation and other stuff is www.poppies.org smile.gif

Those big pods are probably Papaver giganteum. They are not all that crash hot in regards to alkaloids, but the size makes up for it. I think this may also be a subspecies or variety of somniferum and thus illegal to grow and import.