The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Vertmorpheus

White P. somni

Bought a sack of these things to put on breadrolls and worked out I needed the blue ones (silly me) and I'd feel bad chucking them out, they're from Turkey, not the Isle of Norman.PM me if you're into baking and have snacks to trade... I was lookin forward to those rolls dammit.Don't get em wet, they're like gremlins.

GD

I got a shietload of blue ones if youv'e got anything else to trade with.

BTW are you baking now or waiting to late winter/early spring?

Good question Lono - when is the best time of year to bake?

Edited by Ace

Late winter I believe. Got some rolls backing now but winter will stop them from rising properly me thinks.

Yeah i baked at the wrong time myself... late winter it is harry

I have got about a kilo of these seeds myself, and fifteen kilos of organic blue on their way :)

I do like baking

Planning on opening a bakery Sphinx?? :lol: haha

Green Dragon Bakery HEHEHE

ur baking do u mean sowing seed? best time to sow is mid to late autumn if u dont get heavy frosts or early spring if u do, for mid summmer harvesting.

Foaf doesnt bake with them but gets baked on them ;) lol

Sowing pap somni would be illegal wouldn't it ?? :huh:

Hmm...

Hmmmm.......

better move country

sadly if u are in aus yes, doesnt stop my foaf or 1000's of grannies though.

how much of a garden (meters x meters) do you think you need to get a decent poppy crop going?

eh double post

Edited by Sphinx

crap! triple post

Edited by Sphinx

depends, on how much u want to harvest, & wot quality, variables: wot type u grow, whether u use fertilizers, environmental conditions.

Foaf has 2 gardens bout 1m x 3m yields plenty nuff for him.

depends, on how much u want to harvest, & wot quality, variables: wot type u grow, whether u use fertilizers, environmental conditions.

Foaf has 2 gardens bout 1m x 3m yields plenty nuff for him.

Hey, anybody wannhook a brother up with some viable seeds of P. somniferium so that he can put them on his home made buns? Will swap seeds or a cutting or something.

I'm pretty sure any seeds are viable... maybe?

Edit: I mean, i'm aware of people who have sowed supermarket seeds :)

Edited by Sphinx

Mark, PM me - I may have the seeds you are after :wink:

I'm pretty sure any seeds are viable... maybe

Apparently store bought ones arent - an attempt to stop cultivation. They all taste pretty good afaik :D

Apparently store bought ones arent - an attempt to stop cultivation...

Yeah i've heard this too, but i have seen contradictory proof

I'm pretty sure any seeds are viable... maybe

Apparently store bought ones arent - an attempt to stop cultivation. They all taste pretty good afaik :D

This sounds like a myth at best or misinformation at worst.

store bought seeds should pop as long as there not too old.

If you want some variety check out ebay.

Lots of nice ones there :wink:

Ah I don't go plantin em much personally, anything where you get billions of seeds for bugger all cash is probably best off planted almost continuously until you work out what works around you... most places these are grown "properly" rely on autumn n winter rains and ground chill, none of that where I live tahts for sure (well gets pretty cold in a way, but not in that overwintering way).I'd probably chuck em in at anytime that isn't the height of bastard summer or the depth of ballcracking winter and hope for the best. having said that, half the things I grow go in at the wrong time of year and witha bit of juggling they just kind of work (for which I am very grateful!). heard good things about the turkish whites (note, these are not the "persian white " from this or that online shop, they are sourced from an international food importer that also supplies a lot of other interesting plant materials..they're not turkish in name, they are actually from turkish grown plants,bags labelled "product of turkey"...) munching a few of em in cooking (yes, actual cooking...no really...just with food n stuff...I'm not alluding to anything, I'm really not that cool, to be honest haha) they seem bursting with fresh protein and an edge of spice, nice and moist.A few will end up falling out of someones pocket into some suitable soil at some stage I am sure.The same place used to stock blue seeds of indian and pakistani origin but now they're aussie stock... Noorrmmaaaan?...Yes Mother..... I have bulk amount of these white things, I honestly don't mind if someone really wants to cook with em either, they're delicious but I could never use so many.I'll stick some in water maybe so make some shoots for sandwiches and try n get a rough germ count or something, maybe.

I and others have found that a wide range of store bought poppyseed will sprout but seems to conk out pretty quick meaning the nutrient n water reserve is buggered from either storage or irradiation etc... maybe soaking a bunch in some dilute kelp or similar would help get em off toa better start,picking up your pack from a shop that shifts em quick would be a good idea too.

With that kind of numbers , trial and error becomes a lot less about the trial I reckon.. just chuck em n wait.. at one stage poppies were a serious pest plant around the southern states, while we get less rainfall these days, plenty of people seem to have passable results from a variety of tech's n times.Saying sow at the same time in cessnock as in bundaburg would seem a little silly eh? Or maybe not...no hard n fast rules with plants.Though speakin of rules, the owner ( a very on the level person in a nicely shifty way) says they are fresh stock (supplies a lot of restaurants, knows his stuff) which makes me wonder about the thing on SAB store pages saying that you simply cannot import em, no bad don't never ever... maybe these ones fell thru a hole in time n space.

Legality, it's like most shifty plants... if you look like a shifty person, they are more likely to be seen as helping you in that lifestyle :D Noone minds old mother jones having em in with the rest of her cottage mix..when you have no other plants around your home but have half a dozen styrene boxes bursting with poppies and a house full of bongsmoke and drug books, they mean something else again.

keep growin

GD

Edited by greendreams