The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fish 2000

Where's the seeds?

Guest Fish 2000

I have been growing morning glory for the past six years but to my amusement I didn't know what it was untill I was on this site yesterday. It flowers all the time but in the six years I have had it not once have I ever noticed it bare any fruit. Being a very inexperienced gardener I'm not sure if I just don't know what to look for or if there is a trick to it that I must learn.

Fish 2000

Morning glories don't seed if there is plenty of water. This is a problem in your climate, as the rain starts as the seed is supposed to mature. The local introduced Morning glories don't have that problem and are much more succesful weeds.

El nino years are your best bet ;-)

Guest Fish 2000

What are the chances I could get it to seed if I deprive it of water untill it starts happening?

fish, have a closer look next time it flowers ... the *fruit* is quite small, and dries inconspicuously to a brown seed pod that can be as small as 1cm long and less around.

if it is an australian variety, the seeds are not active

I guess the water deprivation may help, but how can you eliminate the rain??

At leats one of the australian weed ipomoeas is active, but not in the way we might hope. It works wonders as a laxative ;-)

I guess the water deprivation may help, but how can you eliminate the rain??

At least one of the australian weed ipomoeas is active, but not in the way we might hope. It works wonders as a laxative ;-)

Guest Fish 2000

I have it growing in a hanging pot, so what would be the best way to go about watering it? Should I give it very little water untill it flowers? confused.gif

re.morning glory seeds.Torsten is right about flowering,the less water the more flowers also if you restrain the roots you will also get many more flowers(plant it in a large pot perhaps)Warning:if you live in an area where this plant thrives, like I do you might want to have a good think about planting it in the ground.Once it is established you will never get rid of it(one seed fallen in to the soil and theres one more plant).I have three patches of it,the pearly gates has almost completely taken over the back fence,ours and next doors.The heavenly blue has taken the side fence and next doors trees and part of their clothesline.these things are so persistent that when I tear a heap of it down it keeps on flowering for aweek on the compost heap.see ya.

p.s.obviously I have and continue to harvest a fair few of these seeds if anybody is interested in trading.see ya.

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 24 April 2000).]

So Torsten, you've seen the size of my HBWR vine, is it the same story as with MG?

Will it flower naturaly, and do you have any idea when or do I have to deprive it of water as well, and in what season should I do this. It's growing under the awning of my roof, so I can regulate how much water is gets.

-assassin

It definitely won't flower till the second year. It doesn't have quite the same requirements as MG, and will actually require quite a bit of water to form its seeds properly.

Guest Pigdog

Damn Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds frown.gif

Don't talk no no just don't taunt me with your tales of large vines and copious amounts of seed smile.gifsmile.gif

I have tried *4* times to germinate my HBWR seeds in four differant ways, and all four seeds just stagnated in the soil frown.gif

I always chipped the whole seed-shell completely off, and I've tried growing them in Rockwool, Perlite, Soil, Soil/Perlite, in Cold, warm, Bright and Dark positions, and they all just went slimey on me frown.gif

One day I'll get one of the little mongrels to germinate smile.gif maybe they *KNOW* it's winter smile.gif

--Pigdog

Hey, don't give up....they are a little hard to get going sometimes and seem to be quite temperamental. That's why I started a tissue culture project on a high alkaloids strain. the tubes should be availabe within a couple of weeks, but I recommend to wait till they are potted up and somewhat established in a few weeks. the timing of the year is unfortunate, as they don't like the winter, but if you can maybe keep them inside for the first few months, then they could take off quickly in spring.

Guest reville

sorry to tease, but i had no problem with rot

i lost all but 3 seeds which i presoaked and put into seed raising mix (2) and sand (1)

all germinated, i think the autumn warmth and yet low humidity helped. they did however become infested by a mite, RLEM? this was fairly transient though and now theyre all fine, and still growing albeit slowly against a north facing asbestos fence.my two cents worth biggrin.gif